This post has been edited by Hoshi: 25 December 2013 - 08:58 AM

Posted Image

#162 User is offline   hampshire37 

• Juvenile
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:23 PM

View PostSan_Fran, on 25 December 2013 - 04:09 AM, said:

I will take gorgeous over imperfection and Christina sure has gorgeous. I would love to see a great skate from her at US Nationals. I want her on the Olympic team.

I, too, hope Christina has amazing performances at Nationals. She certainly shows she is fully committed and that's more than half the battle.

And LOL about Kanako. Perhaps I shouldn't share this, but my parents watched some event with me a year ago, and when Kanako was about to skate with her crazy pumping and banging by the boards, they legitimately thought she had some social disorder or something was wrong with her :hysterical: She is pretty immature for a 19-year-old, most girls show more maturity and poise by that age.

Thanked by 1 Member:

#163 User is offline   Iceriver 

• Juvenile
  • PipPipPipPip
  • {Real Name}:Ruben

Posted 25 December 2013 - 07:06 PM

View Postpoloska, on 25 December 2013 - 02:24 AM, said:

I got my tickets and passport for Olympics, so it's official that I'm going. :biggrin2:

Congratulations!! :D I hope you have a great time in Sochi, I'm sure you will ;)

And thank you hampshire37 for your wonderful post, I couldn't agree more. I especially liked what you said about Akiko and Mao. With Akiko, I always have the feeling that despite not having been gifted with the best body type for skating, she's able to compensate this with extremely emotional performances and her musicality. I hate how she's been constantly low-balled in PCS when, in terms of choreography and interpretation, she is among the very best in the world (IMO). Mao's body type, on the other hand, is almost perfect, but she needs to relax as she does in some of her exhibitions (and choose better dresses) because I'm sure she's able to perform her LP much better than she's currently doing. It can't be easy when you have to deal with technical issues, though. I'm still not a fan of the "dwarf acrobat" :rofl2: (just found that expression funny, I'm not trying to be disrespectful towards Julia) but she's really talented. BTW, I think she's not that "dwarf", I mean, not extremely tall but quite decent height for a 15 years old girl. Let's wait and see how well she does in the future.

Thanked by 3 Members:

#164 User is offline   cactus 

• Senior
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:56 AM

View PostSan_Fran, on 25 December 2013 - 03:29 AM, said:

That's great to hear. You are a wonderful skating fan. But why do you need a passport when you live there? Or is it something other than an international passport needed?

Except having domestic national passport (Russia Fed. or any CIS country) for buying any transport tickets in a country and so on, You must have travel passport when You are going abroad. Poloska told about passport of a fan. You can get at special centers (in Moscow and Sochi) after buying tickets, registration at official Sochi-2014 site. Without it You will not see OG event even having tickets!

Thanked by 1 Member:

#165 User is offline   inspiration 

• Senior

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:06 PM

40 days to go

Posted Image

Thanked by 4 Members:

#166 User is offline   poloska 

• Senior
  • Interests:Drawing, designing, figure skating and many others
  • {Real Name}:Asya

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:59 AM

View PostSan_Fran, on 25 December 2013 - 03:29 AM, said:

That's great to hear. You are a wonderful skating fan. But why do you need a passport when you live there? Or is it something other than an international passport needed?

It's a special fan passport for every person who want to watch any kind of sport at Olympics. Looks like usual accreditation for journalists with your full name and photo. It was told it's for safety reasons. And even if you're flying in Russia you still need you passport, Russian of course,not international)

View PostHoshi, on 25 December 2013 - 04:07 AM, said:

I so envy you, Asya! Я очень хотел пойти в Сочи потому что это последний шанс увидеть Юну на конкуренцию! (I've been learning some Russian for about a year now. Hope I'm getting it right :D )
I guess I'll have to wait for a chance that Yuna's shows come around in US again. But to see her on competitive ice must be a real treat, beyond treat, to be exact. I hope all the YNKFers have wonderful experiences at Sochi :thumbsup_anim:

Oh, lovely to hear! :biggrin2: Did you mean you want to see Yuna at competition? Then it will be "увидеть Юну на соревновании" :laughing:

#167 User is offline   gtwyvill 

• Junior
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:28 AM

Olympic spirit...Canadian trainer helped Russian skier.

Thanked by 2 Members:

#168 User is offline   cactus 

• Senior

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:43 AM

9 most touching episodes of Olympics

1.Canadian Alexander Bilodeau - best mogulist world. He won Olympic gold in Vancouver and Sochi. Both times was near his brother Frederick, who lives with cerebral palsy. In his interview with the champion repeatedly recognized that the elder brother is his hero and he is a source of inspiration: "I would have been long gone from the sport if not for my older brother. Many times I woke up, I saw on the street shower and thinking about how to miss a workout, do not go on the trampoline or in a gym. And then looked at his brother, and he knew that he would give anything in the world to at least one day to swap with me body"

2.Polish skier Justyna Kowalczyk, who acted in Sochi with multilayer fractured foot, ran "separate" race the fastest. After the finish of the race emotions overwhelmed athlete. Justina - Olympic Champion.

3.17-year-old Michael Christian Martinez - the only representative of the Philippines at the Olympics in 2014. Skater went to the Olympics, his mother laid the house: "For the sake of participation son decided to mortgage the house. It's a crazy investment. Not even sure that someone in the administration of Philippine President aware that our country will be represented at the Olympics. " In Sochi Filipino finished in 18th place and remembered by many.

4.Canadian speed skater Denny Morrison won the Olympic silver medal in the 1000m profile. While nothing unusual. However, Morrison did not have to run it: the national selection he made a mistake and lost. Since in Canada conducted a national selection for a tick, the right to run the 1000 metrovku won another skater Gilmore June. Two days before the start of Morrison came to the phone sms: " Are you ready to run 1000 meters? Yes or no?" Juneau gave his place to his friend Morrison, saying:"Our team needs a medal, but historically you perform better at this distance." Two days later, Morrison won the first individual Olympic medal in his career: "It was a very difficult season in which I fought with injuries. Thank you for your support, but most of all - Juneau. This medal without him would not be."

5.Dario Cologna won two gold medals in Sochi skiathlon and 15 km classic. That's the second case, Swiss champion remained on track to wait Nepalese Sherpa Dashiri skier and the first in the history of the Winter Games Peruvian Roberto Carcel . Cologna ran the distance in time 38 minutes and 29 seconds and seven tenths. Roberto Carcel clocked 1 hour, 6 minutes 28.9 seconds.

6.Falling on a bend in the semifinals sprint Anton Gafarov received serious injuries and broken ski. Force to bring the race to the end he still found, but the crowded area where you can replace inventory was away. Gafarov fell again. By Anton ran coach Justin Wadsworth Canada, took a broken ski and helped change the shoes in a new one. Russian applause finished the race.

7.Skater Jeremy Abbott in the short program poorly executed jump, fell and crashed into the boards. A few seconds an American lay on the ice, while the music played. Abbott then struggled to his feet and dokatat program heard perhaps the strongest applause to the foreign athlete at the Olympics.

8.Alexander Legkov won the marathon at the last day of the Olympics, and then with tears in his eyes gave the most emotional interview Sochi 2014. This great race and emotions after it should have in the collection on the hard drive.

9.To superpipe was first included in the Winter Olympic Games, done much Canadian Sarah Burke. Four-time World Champion extreme games for a long time engaged in lobbying and it was considered a favorite of Sochi. January 10, 2012 during a training Sarah hit her head on the ice and got a brain hemorrhage. After nine days without going out of the coma, she died of cardiac arrest. On the day of the official closing of the Olympic Games in Sochi Sarah ashes were scattered in the Olympic Village, on the track and the highest point in the mountains.

And before the final workers swept through the pipe construction, forming a figure of heart in memory of Sarah Burke.
(Google translation)
Posted Image

This post has been edited by cactus: 27 February 2014 - 06:22 AM

#169 User is offline   os168 

• Senior

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:24 PM

Subbed

#170 User is offline   os168 

• Senior

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:03 PM

This is an edited Q&A compilation translated by Venus Dooly from Facebook (A new fan from Sochi, her comments are in brackets). It is titled "Yuna's mentality", including her press conference after her FS.

(Source: http://m.ppomppu.co....oard&no=3822783)

-Whatís your know-how about mind control?

ďI felt a lot of burden and nervousness throughout many past competitions. I still don't feel the reality, and I feel less tension. It may not be known as time passes, but rather than the burdensome I feel from peopleís expectation, I worry things like whether I could do it good, I could do it up to my satisfaction. If you want to drop those kinds of worries, your practices have to be much more in perfection. I like to believe that when I steadily get ready (for the big event), I think I could do it as Iíve been practicing without the worries but with peace of mind.Ē

-Regarding the (SITC) dress squabbles

(There were some squabbles about the dress in Korea, and even in Japan. Some Koreans thought it made her look like a little yellow chick, while the Japanese labeled it as the ďdaikon [yellow pickled beet] dress.Ē -Dooly-)

ďThe most important thing is the performances.Ē

-The Olympics is going to be at Sochi, and many people worry about Lipnitskaya and the extent of home advantage. Your plan regarding her?

ďA skater canít always do great each time nor is the competition judged with same criteria. Iím not the one who can resolve these kinds of problems. For now I just have to skate performances Iím satisfied with, and accept the following results however it may be. Itís important to show your performances as much as youíve prepared.Ē

-What was the worst thing that you had to give up to become the world ranking no. 1 Kim Yuna?

ďIt felt the worst when I didnít have everyday freedom like my peers. Itís an ordinary everyday thing that canít be given up. Itís a precious thing to give up.Ē

-What do you think about the controversy of Mao, despite making mistakes, scoring over 200-mark?

ďIím not a judge so itís not for me to judge the issue.Ē

-You must feel burdensome because of the World Champion title.

ďThereíre no big or small competitions. I think all competitions are same so I try not to feel such burdens.Ē

-Regarding other skatersí flawed jumps

ďBy no means is a flawed jump an easy jump.Ē

-Is your goal an OGM?

ďThe Olympics champion is the epitome of the top to anybody. Itíd be great if I were to stand in that place.Ē

-Your reason for not attempting 3A?

ďI used to learn it. I got injured during the process. 3A is a very difficult skill.
The skill takes a long time to master. I donít think itís wise to master a new skill at this time now. I think itís more important to refine the skills you can do and minimize the mistakes.Ē

-How long will you continue to skate?

ďI apologize for not being able to have an exact answer whenever I get those questions. I was focusing on PyeongChang Olympics after last WC so I didnít have much time to ponder about the personal matter. Now I will be able to make decision as I take some time to relax. I havenít decided yet but Iím going to do my best until then so that I could show good performances to everyone and the fans.Ē

-Lipnitskaya is being mentioned as a favorite to win

ďThere always have been talks about who would be Gold, Silver, and Bronze so I donít pay attention to them. The most important thing is that I do my best.Ē

-(At the Sochi joint press conference) Are you satisfied with the result?

ďItís already over. I also didnít expect much on the scores. Iím satisfied that I performed without mistakes.Ē

-Do you have your own ďspecial tactics/movesĒ?

ďInstead of preparing special tactics itís better to train for overall good performances. I donít think I have particular special tactics.Ē

-Are you likely to make your debut as an entertainer in the future?

ďI could do other things but what I have to do is figure skating. I want to do the thing that I do best right now. Although Iím currently a competitive figure skater, thoughts of wanting to teach young skaters crossed my mind whenever I saw them. If thereís an opportunity, Iíd like to do that.Ē

-It can be somewhat burdensome to have no competitor/rival

ďI donít say things that I donít take full responsibility for. Iíve never said thereís no competitor. I think itís best to be responsible for the things that youíve said. It can be burdensome but itís most important to achieve my personal goal. Rather than winning 1st place as expected after returning by not paying attention to those (competitors), my goal is to successfully wrap up the final stage of my competitive skating career.Ē

-Do you have a philosophy of life that you follow?

ďPeople may think Kim Yuna has achieved success, but I want them to think that she is always true with humility. It tends to be on my mind in those human interpersonal relationships. Thatís why although in figure skating thereís this I must achieve, how to go about executing it, things like these, but I feel many important things are in the human interpersonal relationships. Although Iím young, and especially that Iím a public figure, I meet many people. I felt a lot of those things by meeting many people doing interviews. I wish people would just think ĎI've seen Kim Yuna and sheís a good person.í Ē

-Your thoughts on ending your 17-years of figure skating career?

ďI told my mom to just think that the gold medal went to someone who was so eager. I didnít expect good scores. From the atmosphere of SP such possibilities were likely to happen, that the law of too much expectation brings greater the disappointment.. I think by lightening up your heart itself is being happy. Even I stopped skating itís good that I feel Iím learning one by one the important tools in life. When you skate, the feelings you get during the process rather than the results, there were many things to realize and those will be tremendous help as I head forward. Rather than being known as Vancouver Olympic Champ or Sochi Silver Medallist, I just want people to know that there once was a figure skater named Kim Yuna. I think Iíll be satisfied with that.Ē

#171 User is offline   os168 

• Senior

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:01 PM

Posted Image

Nice picture from the Gala! Yuna get hugs from PangTong / Denis / Julia. Smiles all around, she looks a bit shy. :D

Denis looks very pleased with 2 leading ladies by his side.
Patrick is like.... how come I have got Javier and this other dude instead? Yuuunnnaaaa ~~ [okay... i made the last bit up! don't kill me pls.]
Hanyu is like... Wow! I can't believe I am the OGM... Huh??? I AM the OGM??! [still like that months later... in a daze over this new massive chip on his shoulder]

#172 User is offline   os168 

• Senior

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:00 PM

Cute commentary by Joannie regarding the 4th day practice run throughs. Don't think this has been posted yet. (apologies if it has)

#173 User is offline   cactus 

• Senior

Posted 02 June 2016 - 08:54 AM

... 2 years ago lovely NYT explained How Sotnikova beated Kim...

Now:
'Russian Insider Says State-Run Doping Fueled Olympic Gold'
http://www.nytimes.c...mpics-2014.html

'Russian Doctor Explains How He Helped Beat Doping Tests at the Sochi Olympics'
http://www.nytimes.c...-2014.html?_r=0

#174 User is offline   cactus 

• Senior

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:55 AM

From the second report of Richard Mclaren (WADA) (9 Dec. 2016):

- WADA – Evidence of tampering involving 12 Russian medalists from Sochi Olympics; 4 gold medals involved
- Sotnikova's urine test bottle has marks (thought He didn't named her or other athlets). It could be opened and manipulated by RusADA

This post has been edited by cactus: 19 December 2016 - 01:57 AM

#175 User is offline   spiccoli 

• Senior
  • {Real Name}:Zaldine

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:01 AM

Question this whole doping scandal allegedly state sponsored by Russia is it going to extend to Winter athletes? Like if they will ban athletes of one country as a whole. This was the advocacy of other countries banning the entire Russian federation not to participate in Rio Olympics, which ultimately IOC ruled to let the sporting federation to decide.
Posted Image

#176 User is offline   cactus 

• Senior

Posted 28 December 2016 - 05:13 AM

View Postspiccoli, on 20 December 2016 - 01:01 AM, said:

Question this whole doping scandal allegedly state sponsored by Russia is it going to extend to Winter athletes? Like if they will ban athletes of one country as a whole. This was the advocacy of other countries banning the entire Russian federation not to participate in Rio Olympics, which ultimately IOC ruled to let the sporting federation to decide.

There is a risk for the whole Team Russia to be banned. Every federation must investigate and decide. Or IOC:
https://www.olympic....from-sochi-2014

Actually I don't believe WADA (it has only suspicion) or opposite side. And it would be unfair if the clean athletes will be banned from any competitions. It is a political struggle between the West and Russia. It is not the Sports.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users