• You cannot reply to this topic

Ladies On-Ice Thread (Part II)

#21 User is offline   cactus 

• Senior
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:39 PM

Mishin refused Carolina Kostner

June 25, 2013, Inessa Rasskazova, reporter.

"Evgeniy Plushenko's, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva's and Arthur Gachinskiy's coach having training course now in Italy, refused many times European champion and former world champion Carolina Kostner, who had regularly went to training camp to Mishin.

"Alexei refused Kostner in connection with the forthcoming Olympic Games in Sochi," - commented Mishin's manager Kersty Cull.

Alexei Mishin himself in an interview with "Soviet Sport" said: "It's not the Olympics. Our collaboration with Kostner collapsed much sooner after it became clear that returning home, she tells everything to her coach. We do not need it. In general, I came to the decision not to work with a strong foreign skaters. I believe that I have no right in any way help the opponents. Last year, in particular, Javier Fernandez come to our training camp. Eugeniy (Plushenko - note of the author) quite reasonably asked: "Aleksei Nikolaevich, what is he doing here?".

This post has been edited by cactus: 29 June 2013 - 06:02 AM

Thanked by 2 Members:

#22 User is offline   rock robster 

• Senior
  • Group: Platinum Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

View Postcactus, on 28 June 2013 - 09:39 PM, said:

"Evgeniy Plushenko's, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva's and Arthur Gachinskiy's coach having training course now in Italy, refused many times European champion and former world champion Carolina Kostner, who had regularly went to training camp to Mishin.

"Alexei refused Kostner in connection with the forthcoming Olympic Games in Sochi," - commented the manager Mishina Kersty Cull.

Alexei Mishin himself in an interview with "Soviet Sport" said: "It's not the Olympics. Our collaboration with Costner collapsed much sooner after it became clear that returning home, she tells everything to her coach. We do not need it. In general, I came to the decision not to work with a strong foreign skaters. I believe that I have no right in any way help the opponents. Last year, in particular, Javier Fernandez come to our training camp. Eugeniy (Plushenko - note of the author) quite reasonably asked: "Aleksei Nikolaevich, what is he doing here?".

Interesting and somewhat surprising. Is Mishin known for nationalistic sentiments that are more than ordinary? Or do you believe that this is the result of pressure (both direct and indirect) from the authorities as they go into the Sochi season? I remember reading in passing that Plushenko is friendly with His Majesty The Tsar President Putin. ;)

Does this have any implications for other foreign skaters, such as Mao with TAT?

#23 User is offline   cactus 

• Senior

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:16 AM

View Postrock robster, on 28 June 2013 - 10:23 PM, said:

Interesting and somewhat surprising. Is Mishin known for nationalistic sentiments that are more than ordinary? Or do you believe that this is the result of pressure (both direct and indirect) from the authorities as they go into the Sochi season? I remember reading in passing that Plushenko is friendly with His Majesty The Tsar President Putin. ;)

Does this have any implications for other foreign skaters, such as Mao with TAT?

Proffesor Mishin gave so many interviews for the last some months... Talking about "nationalistic sentiments". It's the 21st century. Buttle for victory in politics, in geopolitics for mineral resorses, in sports. Especially in sport in recent. Olympic motto "The main aim - not Victory but participation" now is in the past. May be it was before the 2nd WW. But we remember OG in Berlin in 1936. Earlier I think. The technology race (do you remember sudden victories of french biathlonists in Vancouver - amazing lubrication for ski), methodics in training, mln. and bln. investments. (Or do You remember two GOLD medalists in Solt Lake City-2002 in pairs. Nonsense!) Nobody wants to share the Gold/Victory.

I'm sorry but I don't have such information about frendship between Plushenko and the Russian President. Yes, he likes sports (Judo and other Martial Arts). But it's for his pleasure or PR-actions. For example, his visit in London-2012 at Judo tournament. The authorities are under pressure themselves. Now they announced to be among first three counties at Sochi OG in medal standings.

TAT once said "Give me the material! I want to work at it". She is an extra-class proffesional coach. She works with top-rated athlet Mao. But note she works with Adelina Sontnikova at the same time! No any implications yet.

And the last. I HOPE Yu-Na never will be involved in Politics as Ambassador of the UN. To help childrens ONLY :giggle: . Who makes children orphaned in Syria? Bin Laden closely cooperated with the US in the buttle with the USSR for Afganistan. Mass media, the UN always lies not telling all the true...

This post has been edited by cactus: 29 June 2013 - 07:29 AM

#24 User is offline   lakewood 

• Senior
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:02 AM

"Alexei refused Kostner in connection with the forthcoming Olympic Games in Sochi," - commented Mishin's manager Kersty Cull.

Alexei Mishin himself in an interview with "Soviet Sport" said: "It's not the Olympics. Our collaboration with Kostner collapsed much sooner after it became clear that returning home, she tells everything to her coach. We do not need it. In general, I came to the decision not to work with a strong foreign skaters. I believe that I have no right in any way help the opponents. Last year, in particular, Javier Fernandez come to our training camp. Eugeniy (Plushenko - note of the author) quite reasonably asked: "Aleksei Nikolaevich, what is he doing here?".

Very interesting, but understandable. Mishin teaches Liza Tuk, and she will definitely compete with Carolina in Euro and Olympics. Conflict of interests!

#25 User is offline   cactus 

• Senior

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:49 AM

View Postlakewood, on 29 June 2013 - 08:02 AM, said:

Very interesting, but understandable. Mishin teaches Liza Tuk, and she will definitely compete with Carolina in Euro and Olympics. Conflict of interests!

You are right! For example Son Yeon-Jae was trained by russian coach last year before London. She hardly ever will be OG champion (may be in Asian Games only) and russian rhytm gymnastics athlets had won OGM again. There is no talks about taking "Rythm Gymnastic" off from OG as a kind of sport. No talks about dominating, no Conflict of interest! But Mishin coaches 2 single men's skaters at the same time... and said Plushenko is real pretender on a medal in Sochi recently. Well, actually I don't understand how one coach can training 2 or more athlets. Only by their individual skill?

Coming back to "Ladies thread" before Vancouver I worryed about Yu-Na as in russian team there was a psychologist Dr.Zagaynov who practising non-traditional methods including hypnosis. He worked with A.Leonova if I remember at that time. Yes, he coudn't help to become an Olympic champion, but he could harm to other athlets. At SLC-2002 as You know Yagudin won Gold. Some years ago Plushenko in russian documentary sais that he sudenlly made 3.5 toeloop instead on 4 of course in his program. Right near behind the border was standing Zagainov (he was in team TAT and Yagudin). Plushenko added: "Believe it or not, but I believe in it".

#26 User is offline   Eclair 

• Junior
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:books and figure skating
  • {Real Name}:Eclair

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

I don't like his reasoning, because if every coach would think like that Brian wouldn't have coached Yuna to Vancouver, or now Javier to Soshi. The same goes for Mao and TAT, Takahashi and Morozov and many other.
Olympics should still be about the collaboration of sports between nations, a place where political conflicts have no place. But sadly, the Olympic thoughts have been forgotten by many participating countries and turned into a battle of politics, where politicians decorate themselves with the achievements of the atheletes.
I'm not talking about russia in particular here, though the strong political influence on sports are represented there too (I believe), but about other countries too.
Actually I'm thankful for Yuna to be involved in politics, because sincere politicians are rare and we need more of them.

Btw: when you say the UN I assume you mean the USA (?), because the UN consists of pretty much all nations?

This post has been edited by Eclair: 29 June 2013 - 09:57 AM

#27 User is offline   cactus 

• Senior

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

Ok, every coach can do what he wants.

View PostEclair, on 29 June 2013 - 09:51 AM, said:

Olympics should still be about the collaboration of sports between nations, a place where political conflicts have no place. But sadly, the Olympic thoughts have been forgotten by many participating countries and turned into a battle of politics, where politicians decorate themselves with the achievements of the atheletes.
I'm not talking about russia in particular here, though the strong political influence on sports are represented there too (I believe), but about other countries too.

Eclair, It would be Perfect, in Ideals of Pierre de Coubertin.
(I see You don't want to offend me and my feeling to that country. That's O'K! But I'm not a russian and don't live in Russia. Thanks!)

Actually I'm thankful for Yuna to be involved in politics, because sincere politicians are rare and we need more of them.

Please NO!
Posted Image
Posted Image
I would translate her "negative" tuxedo: "I don't want to be like you. I'm so boring...". Would You like Yu-Na one day becomes one of them?

Btw: when you say the UN I assume you mean the USA (?), because the UN consists of pretty much all nations?

When I say the UN I mean the UN. How is sitting at the round table and making desicions of other countries. USA, Russia, China...

Thanked by 1 Member:

#28 User is offline   Eclair 

• Junior
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:59 AM

[quote name='cactus' timestamp='1372520283' post='117023

Please NO!
I would translate her "negative" tuxedo: "I don't want to be like you. I'm so boring...". Would You like Yu-Na one day becomes one of them?

[/quote]

Noooo, I don't want yuna to become one of them, but stay true to herself and change things! In the spirit of the saying: 'Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For indeed that's all who ever have.'
All said of course asuming yuna wants to go into politics. I read somewhere that her goal is to become an IOC member...

Thanked by 1 Member:
cactus 

#29 User is offline   cactus 

• Senior

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:25 PM

View PostEclair, on 29 June 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

Noooo, I don't want yuna to become one of them, but stay true to herself and change things! In the spirit of the saying: 'Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For indeed that's all who ever have.'
All said of course asuming yuna wants to go into politics. I read somewhere that her goal is to become an IOC member...

She is changing the World! By her SKATING! It is impossible to learn or to train. At Vancouver's diary on russian TV after victory ceremony Yu-Na said (tears still were in her eyes and OGM hung on her neck): "I don't know. May be I was born to be a Champion". (It was not direct translation, russ. commentator quoted her words. Can't find this video in web :wallbash: )

This post has been edited by cactus: 01 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

Thanked by 1 Member:
Eclair 

#30 User is offline   cactus 

• Senior

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:16 AM

Posted Image
"I (Vasiliy Solovyev, journalist), on behalf of rivals of the Korean skater asked her for advice on how, in general, to beat you. She replied, "I do not know. Probably in no way. Sometimes I think that I just was born a champion." (from his Blog, "Vancouver. Day 17th. Wonders of the East")

Thanked by 1 Member:
jaylee 

#31 User is offline   cactus 

• Senior

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:08 AM

Wagner announces cooperation with Rafael Arutyunyan
June 26, 2013
By U.S. Figure Skating

The two-time reigning U.S. national champion Ashley Wagner announced yesterday she has commenced training part time with Rafael Arutyunyan in Lake Arrowhead, Calif.

She continues to train with John Nicks in Aliso Viejo, Calif. Arutyunyan will accompany Wagner to competitions.

"I’m excited for resolution to my coaching situation,' Wagner said. "I scrambled a bit after Mr. Nicks confirmed he would no longer be my travel coach. I’m now thrilled to have two great coaches in my corner. I have no doubt my time with Rafael will benefit my skating as I work toward my goal of making the 2014 Olympic Team. I am looking forward to getting busy and preparing for the coming year."

In April, Nicks, a renowned Olympic and World coach, announced he will no longer travel to events with his students. Wagner and Nicks began their professional relationship in the summer of 2011 when Wagner relocated from Delaware to Southern California to begin training with Nicks.

Arutyunyan, a former national competitor for the Soviet Union, has worked with Mao Asada, Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, Sergei Voronov, Jeffrey Buttle and others.

Wagner will begin her season in Detroit Oct. 18-20, at 2013 Hilton HHonors Skate America, an event at which she is the reigning champion. She will also compete at 2013 Trophee Bompard in Paris before vying for her third straight U.S. title at the 2014 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships in Boston in January.

#32 User is offline   Eclair 

• Junior
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:59 AM

recently spotted this video of Gracie doing 2axel-3toe-3toe and 2axel-loop-3flip - scary and impressive! and surprisingly good flow in and out...
I remember a commentator saying that Gracie doesn't have good technique on the axel, but seems like she fixed it?

http://web.stagram.c...134934_30042817

looking at her jumps, if she stays in form until the Olympics, Gracie's really going to a medal threat...
Ahhh, but I want Yuna to win!!

This post has been edited by Eclair: 15 July 2013 - 02:00 AM

#33 User is offline   inspiration 

• Senior

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

View PostEclair, on 15 July 2013 - 01:59 AM, said:

recently spotted this video of Gracie doing 2axel-3toe-3toe and 2axel-loop-3flip - scary and impressive! and surprisingly good flow in and out...
I remember a commentator saying that Gracie doesn't have good technique on the axel, but seems like she fixed it?

http://web.stagram.c...134934_30042817

looking at her jumps, if she stays in form until the Olympics, Gracie's really going to a medal threat...
Ahhh, but I want Yuna to win!!

Gracie is certainly a phenom from technical standpoint and one of my favorites among the youngsters. I don't usually buy into something based on practice clips though. I bet there would've been a ton of videos of incredible jumps had the team YuNa kept track of as many practice videos as Gracie has.
Remember YuNa did an equally impressive, if not superior, 2a-3t-3t(?), during the official practice of the Worlds?

The same goes with other top skaters. For this upcoming season, I think it will be more interesting to see if Gracie could put things together as a complete package skater. :)

#34 User is offline   kwanatic712 

• Senior

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:30 PM

Gracie definitely has the potential to be a major champion in this sport but we'll have to wait to see if her competitive nerve matches her talent. So far it hasn't but she's young so that may change.

Some people can be taught to control their nerves and channel all of that nervous energy when they skate...others can't. Right now we don't know what category Gracie is in. She's under a lot of pressure, that's for sure. Even though Ashley is still the national champion Gracie is definitely the favorite going into this Olympic season. She can capitalize on that by skating well and building her reputation which will help her achieve those PCS scores she'll need to be competitive with the top ladies in the sport...or she could completely fold under the weight of the expectation and have a terrible season. I don't know how she'll react to the pressure yet.

Gracie was a seesaw skater last year--up one competition, down the other--pretty much all season long. The added pressure of being expected to surpass Ashley as the #1 as well as the regular pressure that comes with an Olympic season will not help her situation at all. We'll really get the chance to see what kind of stuff she's made of. She talks a great game and from that one can assume her head is in the right place, but we all know saying something and doing it are two different things.

Next season will be filled with drama and I can't wait to see what happens! :popcorn:
Posted Image

#35 User is offline   inspiration 

• Senior

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:33 PM

Good read on what Ashley Wagner has been up to. Didn't know she ditched the ICE2013, but good for her to focus on training. Also interesting mention about her work with David Wilson.

Wagner hopes to stage triple-triple at Olympics
Two-time reigning U.S. champ reveals programs, banks on Arutunian, Wilson

By Lynn Rutherford, special to icenetwork.com (http://web.icenetwor...8&vkey=ice_news)

(07/16/2013) - With programs choreographed and schedule mostly clear, Ashley Wagner is hunkered down 5,400 feet high in Lake Arrowhead, Calif., preparing for her run at Sochi with new coach Rafael Arutunian.
"I've been traveling a lot, back and forth between California and Canada, and then shows," Wagner, 22, said. "Now, I can finally focus on training at home with Raf."

Since placing fifth at the 2013 World Figure Skating Championships, the two-time U.S. champion has toured with Canada's Stars on Ice and made two forays to Toronto for choreography, first with David Wilson and, earlier this month, Shae-Lynn Bourne. In between, she performed in Seoul with Yu-Na Kim's All That Skate. Finally, she trimmed her commitments, declining an invitation to perform in Mao Asada's The ICE 2013 later this month.

"It's kind of finding a balance," she said. "I think that you should always practice performing, even if it's a show. Putting yourself into a situation where you feel a little bit of pressure to perform is always good.

"On top of that, everyone has bills to pay. I had to pull out of ICE because it was too much time away and too much time to not train, but it's so hard to say no because being able to perform for the fans is always a great experience."

Wagner, a lieutenant colonel's daughter who relocated many times during childhood, has never shied away from change. In 2011, she moved cross country from the Washington, D.C., area to train under John Nicks in Aliso Viejo, Calif., where Phillip Mills created programs that helped her win two U.S. titles. She and Mills ended their creative partnership in April, and soon after, Nicks' semi-retirement helped prompt her to add Arutunian to her team.

"I went to David [Wilson] because I knew I would be pushed in a direction totally different than what I was used to," Wagner said. "For coaching, I knew I had to go to a technician, and Raf was the obvious choice."

Icenetwork.com: What does working with coaches 80-plus miles apart do to your schedule?

Wagner: It's really not bad. It's an easy schedule to keep up with. I train Monday through Thursday (in Lake Arrowhead), and then I drive down and train with Mr. Nicks Friday and most Saturdays. The driving is long but, you know, it's the way it is in California.

Icenetwork.com: How is Mr. Nicks with this arrangement?

Wagner: He has really embraced it. The change is mostly due to him. When he decided not to travel any more, I completely understood. He is turning 84 this year; he doesn't want to travel all the way to Japan and back in a week. He's been very supportive of the decisions I've been making.

Icenetwork.com: Rafael Arutunian is known as an excellent technician. Is that why you went to him?

Wagner: Yes, definitely. There are skaters who jump based on feeling and skaters who jump based on technique. I've always jumped on feeling. I've never worked with anyone who has really pushed technique on me.

My triple-triple (flip-toe) hasn't been consistent for a reason, and I knew I had to go to a technician. And I enjoy working with Raf so much; he has so much knowledge. What he says might not make sense to someone standing on the side listening, but to me it's so clear.

Icenetwork.com: You've had two solid seasons. Your goal now is the Olympic and world podium. What do you need most to be up there. Is it the triple-triple?

Wagner: It really, really is. I've had great programs, I've put together good spins. [Not having] the triple-triple, I think, is what holds me back. Maybe my jump quality needs to improve as well. It's consistency in general.

Icenetwork.com: Training with your good friend Adam Rippon must be a nice bonus.

Wagner: It's great to be able to train with Adam. He's been like my brother since I was 14 or 15, sort of forever. When it's Olympic season, you need someone there who is going to tell you when you're going crazy, when to calm down, and he's the perfect person for me. Nathan Chen is also there.

Down in Aliso, I train mostly with pairs skaters, so it's nice to go up the mountain to see people working on quads and triple Axels.

Icenetwork.com: Your free is set to Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet. How did you and Wilson choose it?

Wagner: When he first [proposed] this version of Romeo and Juliet, I said, 'Absolutely not, I cannot do this.' But he really pushed me. We worked really hard the week I was with him in Canada and we put together something great, I think.

David is a phenomenally creative person to work with; throughout his programs, there is always something to kind of catch your eye. He kind of took my skating to another level. He's given me a bit more of an understanding for music, phrasing and expression. It's those little details that can make a huge difference.

Icenetwork.com: The season before last, you did Black Swan, and the character had a touch of madness. Juliet is softer.

Wagner: I think anybody that falls that deeply in love, that fast, definitely is a little bit crazy. Especially in the Prokofiev version, you feel the tension and passion as [Juliet] is figuring out what is going to happen to the love of her life. I think that comes across. There's definitely the drama and intensity that comes along with that crazy love.

It's very different from what I've done the past couple of years. The past few seasons, I've portrayed strong women. This year, it's strong music, and the story definitely comes across, but it's a totally different character.

Icenetwork.com: Your short, to Pink Floyd's "Shine on You Crazy Diamond," couldn't be more different from your free. What made you turn to Bourne?

Wagner: Shae-Lynn is probably the sexiest woman alive, and I wanted to do a short more on the edgy, sexier side. I went to her for a show program this year, and what she put together (Eurythmics' "Sweet Dreams") was awesome. She is such a performer and brings a unique perspective to skating.

Working with her has really pushed me; I feel I've learned how to perform a little more. That's what skating needs: competitive programs that are entertaining and fun to watch.

Bourne: Ashley wanted something that would make her look like a woman, not a girl. I really like how she's moving to "Shine on You Crazy Diamond." It's nice to see her light up and be excited about it. She needs to feel confident and strong, especially in an Olympic season. You have to own it. The music has to be in your blood.

Icenetwork.com: You've got Japan Open in early October, followed by Skate America and Trophée Eric Bompard. Any competitions before that?

Wagner: There's really no time in my schedule, I have so much to work on with Raf. I probably won't be doing a senior B. We're pretty much going to focus on Champs Camp (Aug. 19-25).

Thanked by 1 Member:
cactus 

#36 User is offline   jaylee 

• Senior

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

I like the SP choice for Wagner, but the FS....??????????????????????? Bleeeeeeech.

With Wagner picking Romeo & Juliet, Mao skating to Rachmaninoff, and Akiko skating to Phantom of the Opera, the top skaters are putting me to sleep already.
Yunapedia: Yu-Na news, facts, videos.

#37 User is offline   YuNaGMT 

• Novice
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:44 AM

View Postinspiration, on 15 July 2013 - 08:49 AM, said:

Gracie is certainly a phenom from technical standpoint and one of my favorites among the youngsters. I don't usually buy into something based on practice clips though. I bet there would've been a ton of videos of incredible jumps had the team YuNa kept track of as many practice videos as Gracie has.
Remember YuNa did an equally impressive, if not superior, 2a-3t-3t(?), during the official practice of the Worlds?

The same goes with other top skaters. For this upcoming season, I think it will be more interesting to see if Gracie could put things together as a complete package skater. :)

I think that it actually was a 2A+3T+2T, the height of the third jump was not enough for a triple (or at least not for a fully rotated triple)...

#38 User is offline   spiralintoawsomeness 

• Senior
  • Interests:Ballet, Modern Dance, Imitating People :), Reading
  • {Real Name}:Leya

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

View PostYuNaGMT, on 20 July 2013 - 09:44 AM, said:

I think that it actually was a 2A+3T+2T, the height of the third jump was not enough for a triple (or at least not for a fully rotated triple)...

Yeah, it looks like at 2t (and the video maker says that it is one), but still, ina bauer+2a+3t+2t is really impressive...
Posted Image

#39 User is offline   IcePrincess#1 

• Intermediate
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

Here is a picture of Mao's costume for her SP:

http://www.nikkanspo...24-1162525.html

Here is a short clip of her SP:

Thanked by 4 Members:

#40 User is offline   NewYunaFan 

• Senior

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

^Given Mao's history with costumes, her Olympics SP costume will look nothing like that one. :laughing:

Share this topic:

• 22 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users