• Senior
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

View PostIcePrincess#1, on 24 July 2013 - 06:42 PM, said:

Here is a picture of Mao's costume for her SP:

http://www.nikkanspo...24-1162525.html

Here is a short clip of her SP:

Thanks! Interesting that she's showing her Olympic programs so early. Guess there's no need to hold back since she's using an old program that everyone's seen already (and updating it, etc).

View PostNewYunaFan, on 24 July 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

^Given Mao's history with costumes, her Olympics SP costume will look nothing like that one. :laughing:

Yeah, she does change costumes an awful lot.

Some skaters change costumes throughout the season, but I don't see a correlation between changing costumes and better results. I think Kimmie Meissner changed dresses like 3 times during the 2006-2007 season--didn't help. Neither did it help Miki during the 2009-2010 season (she had a gazillion Cleopatra outfits).
Yunapedia: Yu-Na news, facts, videos.

#42 User is offline   rock robster 

• Senior
  • Group: Platinum Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:30 PM

Gracie Gold's summer comp in Milwaukee, as posted by a tweeter on The Skating Lesson: http://t.co/4QUCW3l868

What do people think about her progress thus far?

(Yeah, the vid quality is bad, but beggars can't be choosers :P ).

Also: anyone have any updates on Zijun Li? How is she coming along?

Thanked by 2 Members:

#43 User is offline   inspiration 

• Senior

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:15 AM

View Postrock robster, on 24 July 2013 - 11:30 PM, said:

Gracie Gold's summer comp in Milwaukee, as posted by a tweeter on The Skating Lesson: http://t.co/4QUCW3l868

Also: anyone have any updates on Zijun Li? How is she coming along?

Thanks rock robster for the video. The cam angle really makes it hard to see up close and tell how she has improved. This might change once I see more well executed performance, but at least the lp music choice is kind of bland to me...it feels like sort of extended version of the last year's lp.

#44 User is offline   jaylee 

• Senior

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:06 PM

View Postrock robster, on 24 July 2013 - 11:30 PM, said:

I think there's no doubt that Gracie will be the most powerful Sleeping Beauty on ice ever. :P Her jumps and spins are in great shape.

I like and dislike the fact that they went for the more powerful selections from Sleeping Beauty to open and close the program. Those selections are a good fit for Gracie's powerful skating. That said--it doesn't really fit with the Sleeping Beauty character. In that sense, Zijun's music edit was more appropriate. And clearly, with the pink dress, Gracie is going for some parts of the Sleeping Beauty character.

Not a huge fan of the choreographed sequence or the footwork, but I thought the closing spin was a great match to the music and the opening is a very exciting match as well. I don't think it's true to the spirit of the character or the ballet, but oh well.

I don't see this program transforming perception of Gracie into an "artist" the way that Salome did Michelle Kwan and Tango de Roxanne did for Yu-Na. But I don't see it holding her back, either. If she performs it well and nails everything, then she can score big with it. At this point, definitely a contender throughout the season. As much as people saying the top 3 are locked for Sochi, I don't think they are. Much less so than in 2010 or 2006 or 2002. So many skaters with many different skills...they're all contenders.

Thanked by 1 Member:

#45 User is offline   jaylee 

• Senior

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

Article on Carolina Kostner:

http://www.goldenska...ummer-training/

In June, she went to long-time choreographer Lori Nichol in Toronto, Canada, to build two new programs. However, she is not yet ready to reveal the music to the public right now.
“I will announce my choice of music in August on my home page,” the Italian Champion promised. “The programs are still a lot of work. Lori suggested the music and I fully trust her.”
The free skating music is better known than the short program music, but both suit the skater really well. Kostner has strong material heading into the Olympics, which will most likely be the final season of her career.

I just hope she's not skating to Carmen or something.

#46 User is offline   os168 

• Senior

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:15 AM

Carolina FS = Something European, something classical for sure. Probably less lyrical or melodic as oppose to have a more rigid and obvious steady structure or rhythm to hide her lack of finesse or variation of emotions/expressions on ice. If I see any more hip wiggling stop start choreography in her Lori choreography I'd seriously lol. If something by a Russian composer (e.g Tchaikovsky 1812 just for the epic finale), I'd seriously groan out loud. I'd be interested to see which skater does not use a Russian piece this Olympic season. Anyone does not go for the obvious deserve +1.

Despite my complaint, I quite like Ashley's Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet choice that complement her style of skating. It is a dramatic piece that has good signature phrasing that can harness her energy into structured movements without she needing to do too much work. She is not a girly skater and there are parts in the music like the procession parts that can work very well as highlighters like the Black Swan.

Gracie is looking good for the upcoming season. It is all power baby, Sleeping beauty- the jock edition: Sleepless beauty on caffeine.

I can't wait for Yuna's announcement. Is Carolina and Yuna having a I dare you to announce yours first duel? :P

Thanked by 2 Members:

#47 User is offline   yyyskate 

• Senior

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:46 AM

View Postos168, on 26 July 2013 - 04:15 AM, said:

Carolina FS = Something European, something classical for sure. Probably less lyrical or melodic as oppose to have a more rigid and obvious steady structure or rhythm to hide her lack of finesse or variation of emotions/expressions on ice. If I see any more hip wiggling stop start choreography in her Lori choreography I'd seriously lol. If something by a Russian composer (e.g Tchaikovsky 1812 just for the epic finale), I'd seriously groan out loud. I'd be interested to see which skater does not use a Russian piece this Olympic season. Anyone does not go for the obvious deserve +1.

Despite my complaint, I quite like Ashley's Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet choice that complement her style of skating. It is a dramatic piece that has good signature phrasing that can harness her energy into structured movements without she needing to do to much work. She is not a girly skater and there are parts in the music like the procession parts that can work very well as highlighters like the Black Swan.

Gracie is looking good for the upcoming season. It is all power baby, Sleeping beauty- the jock edition: Sleepless beauty on caffeine.

I can't wait for Yuna's announcement. Is Carolina and Yuna having a I dare you to announce yours first duel? :P

I agree with every words your said regarding Caro's music choice and skating performance and "Power baby, Sleep beauty-the jock edition" sounds like a anime inspired teen movie title :laughing: os I appreciated your post a lot and am your secret fan :wub:

Thanked by 1 Member:
os168 

#48 User is offline   San_Fran 

• Senior

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

View Postyyyskate, on 27 July 2013 - 07:46 AM, said:

I agree with every words your said regarding Caro's music choice and skating performance and "Power baby, Sleep beauty-the jock edition" sounds like a anime inspired teen movie title :laughing: os I appreciated your post a lot and am your secret fan :wub:

Me too.

Thanked by 1 Member:
os168 

#49 User is offline   inspiration 

• Senior

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:35 PM

TSL's This and That this week covers many interesting topics, which include Mao Asada's SP and Gracie Gold's LP of this season. Jennifer interestingly gave her straight opinion that clean YuNa will be unbeatable while commenting on Mao's jumping. Fun to watch overall. :)

This post has been edited by inspiration: 28 July 2013 - 09:36 PM

Thanked by 5 Members:

#50 User is offline   Eclair 

• Junior
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:books and figure skating
  • {Real Name}:Eclair

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:54 AM

Great video by the two of them, thanks! =) Interesting news and great comments of Gracie Gold, Virtue/Moir, Mao, Yuna, Evan Lycacek, Pluchenko etc. :respec1: Especially loved their imitation of Evan Lycacek, lol.

#51 User is offline   inspiration 

• Senior

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostEclair, on 29 July 2013 - 06:54 AM, said:

Great video by the two of them, thanks! =) Interesting news and great comments of Gracie Gold, Virtue/Moir, Mao, Yuna, Evan Lycacek, Pluchenko etc. :respec1: Especially loved their imitation of Evan Lycacek, lol.

Glad you enjoyed it. :) I came across the recent interview of Dave (http://skateguard1.b...dave-lease.html); his take on YuNa and Sochi is in line with Jennifer's comment, though he sort of played a devil's advocate in the TSL's video.

Q: When it boils down to it, who do you think are the most likely medalists in Sochi in each discipline?

A: I hate to give predictions, especially this far our from the Olympic Games. We have not seen most of the programs yet. Given the amount and time and all of the possible variables, I don’t believe they are worth the paper or bandwidth they appear on. I am also setting myself up to be blatantly incorrect. If I had to make a guess, I would say that in the team event, I think Canada, the USA and Russia will finish in the top three. It will be interesting to see if the medal winners in the team event are regarded as ‘true’ Olympic Champions or if people in the skating world are dismissive of someone who finishes first in the team event and eighth or ninth in their individual discipline. ‘Most-decorated Olympian’ claims will likely be thrown around as frequently as world records in the short program. In pairs, I think the top three from Worlds are the best bets, with a possible surprise by Moore-Towers and Moscovitch or Pang and Tong, As for the men, I am most curious to see how this event is judged at the Olympics. I believe that Chan, Fernandez and Hanyu are the best bets for the medals, but I could easily see Takahashi, Reynolds, Aaron and Lysacek contending as well. In ice dance, my gut says the top three will remain the same, with a possible shift between the top two teams. Pechalat and Bourzat and Cappellini and Lanotte are in the best position to upset Bobrova and Soloviev for the bronze. With ladies, the top three ladies at the recent World Championships are extremely strong. That said, there is an unfathomable amount of pressure on the ladies at the Olympics. I predict there is a good chance that two of them will be on the podium and that one lady (Tuktamysheva, Sotnikova, Suzuki, Gold or Wagner) will have a Paul Wylie moment and surprise everyone. If Kim Yu-Na is able to withstand the pressure and skate cleanly, she will be almost impossible to beat.

Thanked by 5 Members:

#52 User is offline   jaylee 

• Senior

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

View Postinspiration, on 29 July 2013 - 12:29 PM, said:

Glad you enjoyed it. :) I came across the recent interview of Dave (http://skateguard1.b...dave-lease.html); his take on YuNa and Sochi is in line with Jennifer's comment, though he sort of played a devil's advocate in the TSL's video.

Thanks for both the latest TSL interview and the above interview.

I, too, feel compelled to be kind of a devil's advocate sometime. It's just that the ice is slippery, you know? Yu-Na herself has acknowledged the fact that favorites don't always win at the Olympics.

So, I can't voice the same opinion as those who say those who say she will absolutely win. Do I think she's got one of the best chances to win? Yes. Do I think she's in absolutely the best position? Absolutely, she's sitting pretty. But it's not over until it's over.

I'm pleased that there those who rate Yu-Na's chances highly outnumber those who don't, but that's about it.

I would never count any of the other skaters out. However, if it doesn't work out and the stars don't align, then so be it--as long as the competition was fair and Yu-Na is happy afterwards, I'll be happy. And I'll just have to go watch her Vancouver performances a few more times then. Thank goodness she has an OGM already! Can't imagine my nerves if she didn't.

Thanked by 1 Member:

#53 User is offline   NewYunaFan 

• Senior

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

View Postjaylee, on 29 July 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

Thanks for both the latest TSL interview and the above interview.

I, too, feel compelled to be kind of a devil's advocate sometime. It's just that the ice is slippery, you know? Yu-Na herself has acknowledged the fact that favorites don't always win at the Olympics.

So, I can't voice the same opinion as those who say those who say she will absolutely win. Do I think she's got one of the best chances to win? Yes. Do I think she's in absolutely the best position? Absolutely, she's sitting pretty. But it's not over until it's over.

I'm pleased that there those who rate Yu-Na's chances highly outnumber those who don't, but that's about it.

I would never count any of the other skaters out. However, if it doesn't work out and the stars don't align, then so be it--as long as the competition was fair and Yu-Na is happy afterwards, I'll be happy. And I'll just have to go watch her Vancouver performances a few more times then. Thank goodness she has an OGM already! Can't imagine my nerves if she didn't.

Exactly, jaylee. We do have to remind ourselves despite all her accomplishments, she is human. :sweatingbullets: Yuna is mortal and is vulnerable to injury, illness and anxiety. God forbid she succumbs to them, but we should be careful to manage our expectations of her. It's just so weird how some people who doubted her before Worlds are now all of a sudden so certain she'll win in Sochi. Vancouver wasn't inevitable, it could've gone more like 2009 Skate America. Luckily Yuna seems to have learned how to prepare herself properly and handle the pressure at big competitions. Her very best and cleanest performances have been at Worlds and Olympics, which is pretty remarkable. Most skaters do best at easier competitions. Yuna seems to thrive under pressure (assuming she's healthy and motivated), which makes me cautiously optimistic about Sochi.

Thanked by 5 Members:

#54 User is offline   inspiration 

• Senior

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:06 PM

That's where I stand too. Like jaylee said, even YuNa has been always very modest, and when dealing with the media, mindful of the language she chose.

Hyping things up and overexpecting by no means helps YuNa nor the fans. btw, the comments from Jennifer and Dave are not naively optimistic as they put a big condition, skating "clean", for YuNa to be unbeatable.

We all know how daunting it is for a skater to put two clean programs in the biggest event. But yes..if someone could repeat, it could well be YuNa. :) Her perfection has materialized, from my point of view, twice in sp ('09 WC, '10 OG) and twice in lp ('10 OG, '13 WC). My dream-come-true will be that YuNa leaves one more pair at her likely last competition.

Thanked by 6 Members:

#55 User is offline   IcePrincess#1 

• Intermediate
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

Here is a short clip of Mao's LP:

Thanked by 2 Members:

#56 User is offline   spiralintoawsomeness 

• Senior
  • Interests:Ballet, Modern Dance, Imitating People :), Reading
  • {Real Name}:Leya

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

:wub: I like what I'm seeing!
Posted Image

Thanked by 1 Member:

#57 User is offline   cactus 

• Senior

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

Adelina Sotnikova's SP - "Carmen" (choreography of Pyoter Tchernyshov (pair Ice-Dance, represented the USSR, RUSSIA/USA)
Elizaveta Tuhtamysheva's: SP - Latino Dance (Tatiana Prokofieva and the Mariinsky Theatre soloist Anton Pimenov), FS - in the style of Spanish folk dance Malaguena (Mishin, Jeffry Buttle)

Kostner begins summer training

This post has been edited by cactus: 31 July 2013 - 09:05 AM

Thanked by 2 Members:

#58 User is offline   IcePrincess#1 

• Intermediate
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:18 AM

Here is the full version of Mao's SP:

Thanked by 3 Members:

#59 User is offline   NewYunaFan 

• Senior

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:59 AM

View PostIcePrincess#1, on 01 August 2013 - 12:18 AM, said:

Here is the full version of Mao's SP:

Thanks! This may be the final music cut, but I don't think this is the full SP layout, as I didn't see a third jumping pass for either a solo triple or a combo.

#60 User is offline   jaylee 

• Senior

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:42 AM

View PostNewYunaFan, on 01 August 2013 - 01:59 AM, said:

Thanks! This may be the final music cut, but I don't think this is the full SP layout, as I didn't see a third jumping pass for either a solo triple or a combo.

I think they edited the 3Lo jumping pass out of it.

Here's a camera recording of a different performance:

Though you predicted that Mao's costume would change, I bet you didn't think it would change so quickly. :biggrin2:

Thanked by 3 Members:

Share this topic:

• 22 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users