Yu-Na Kim Forum: YuNa in Seoul August 2011 - Official News Thread - Yu-Na Kim Forum

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

YuNa in Seoul August 2011 - Official News Thread

#1 User is offline   lakewood 

• Senior
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:29 PM

New thread begins.

#2 User is offline   finesand 

• Senior
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:43 PM

IFS Main Pages

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Yunapedia : All about Yuna Kim

Thanked by 10 Members:

#3 User is offline   spiccoli 

• Senior
  • {Real Name}:Zaldine

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:48 AM

Latest Article from TIME: :biggrin2:

10 Questions with Figure Skater Kim Yu-Na
By Clara Kim Friday, Aug. 19, 2011

South Koreans call her Queen Yu-na. At just 20 years old this TIME 100 alum is a reigning Olympic champion, an ambassador for figure skating and a national hero. After winning gold in Vancouver, she devoted herself to the city of Pyeongchang's successful bid to host the 2018 Games. Now three sold-out ice shows later, she is heading back from Seoul to Los Angeles for more training. She talked to TIME about loving her fans, hating Mondays and becoming her mother.

What was the first thought that crossed your mind when Pyeongchang was chosen for the 2018 Winter Olympics?

Relief. The Korean delegation worked so hard for 10 years to host the Olympics. I joined the team at the last minute, but the bid came to mean more when I saw from up close how much the rest of the delegation invested in it. I started thinking, "This really has to happen!" It could not be any other way.

Was the Olympics gold medal always your goal?

When I was little, I had never really expected to win such a big competition. For a long time, just skating in the Olympics had been my goal because not many Koreans had done it. But after doing well in junior and senior competitions, I started thinking about the Olympics gold medal, though it was fairly late in my career.

(See Kim Yu-na and Asada Mao in TIME's top 10 figure-skating rivalries.)

What's your next goal?

I trained for a long time toward the Olympics. I was really exhausted after it was over, and rather than setting another goal, I just wanted to rest. More than physically resting, I wanted be free from the stress.

Last season, you mixed in motifs from Korean traditional music to your long program "Homage to Korea." Was that a bit of risk?

Yes, because to non-Asians, Chinese, Japanese and Korean music could easily sound the same. I was really concerned about how to express "Korea." I don't think it can be done in any one motion or gesture or song, so I tried to focus on my own emotions. In the end, I think the program was very modern, despite its use of traditional music.

Clearly, Korean fans adored it. How well was it received by the international judges and audience?

The choreographer [David Wilson] had suggested doing a Korean program several times, but I had always declined because I was worried about the global reception. But after the Olympics and the gold medal, I wanted to do something for the Korean fans who have given me so much attention and support. It was a present to them. Honestly, I don't think it spoke to the international judges as effectively.

(See Kim Yu-na in the 2010 TIME 100.)

Your ice shows star figure skaters from around the world. Why do they go to Korea?

Korean audiences are amazing. The fans scream so loud, and that really surprises skaters when they first perform in my shows.

What do you think Korea needs to do in order to raise more Kim Yu-nas?

The number of figure skaters increased dramatically over a short time, but there aren't enough coaches and ice rinks for training. Even the rinks we have are open to the public more than half the day, leaving only a few hours early in the morning and late at night for skaters. What's worse, in the little time there is, the rinks have to be shared by figure skaters, speed skaters and hockey players. The ice conditions and the temperature are also not the best for training.

What qualities make you so successful?

I think I'm a born athlete. My coaches have told me my muscles and body structure are perfect for skating. I was born with a good instrument, maybe more so than the talent. I was lucky my coaches noticed early on and helped me develop that. A lot of people don't know they are born that way.

What gets you through the dreary training days?

I love weekends. Just like everyone else, I get to rest on weekends and go out with friends. I hate Mondays.

Your mother played a huge part in making your career. For a long time, she accompanied you to every practice and competition. What kind of mom would you like to be?

It's too soon to tell, but I don't think I could ever be like my mom. The sacrifice she made was incredible. But who knows, once I become a mom, I might be just like her.

http://www.time.com/...l?xid=rss-world

This post has been edited by spiccoli: 19 August 2011 - 02:51 AM

Posted Image

Thanked by 9 Members:

#4 User is offline   os168 

• Senior

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:35 AM

Brilliant Q & A, :laughing: on the last question.

Oh Yuna... believe me when I say this as an Asian daughter: As much as one can try to fight it and deny it, it is hard not to be influenced by your mother...and possibly even become a version of her later on. As far as the for the sacrifices she has made, some how I believe it has already rubbed off on you already, we can see it, but you just don't know it yet. :lol:

This post has been edited by os168: 19 August 2011 - 05:36 AM

Thanked by 1 Member:

#5 User is offline   spiccoli 

• Senior

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:06 AM

New Tweet from Yuna!

Yuna Kim

I had so much fun with other skaters yesterday:) Need our continuous attention to Special Olympics. Please Check @SpecialOlympics !!
23 minutes ago via web

http://twitter.com/#!/Yunaaaa
Posted Image

Thanked by 5 Members:

#6 User is offline   spiccoli 

• Senior

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:32 AM

August 18th 2011

Queen Yu-Na Kim to inspire Special Olympians in new role

LAURA WALDEN / Sports Features Communications

TAMPA/SEOUL: Gold medal Korean skater Yu-Na Kim is now officially a Special Olympics Global Ambassador for the PyeongChang 2013 Special Olympics winter Games.

At a ceremony held today at Dongchun Special School located at Nowongu, Seoul, Kim was also welcomed into the Special Olympics Family by Sung Sun Kyung, Director of Special Olympics Korea and Peter Wheeler, Chief of Strategic Properties of Special Olympics as well as Na Kyung Won, Chairwoman of Special Olympics World Winter Games PyeongChang 2013.

Prior to the press announcement the superstar champion conducted a clinic providing instruction to a group of Special Olympics figure skaters at the Dongchun Indoor Ice Skating Rink.

Ceo of Special Olympics, Timothy Shriver, said, “I cannot begin to tell you how pleased we are at Special Olympics that you’ve volunteered your time and infectious enthusiasm to become one of our Global Ambassadors and a Goodwill Ambassador for the Special Olympics World Winter Games PyeongChang 2013. You know how excited we are that the Special Olympics World Winter Games are coming to Pyeongchang in 2013.

“Knowing that you will play an invaluable part in educating the Korean people about those Games, and about our work in Special Olympics, makes us feel enormously grateful.

"And I know that your commitment today will inspire other Koreans – especially young people – to volunteer their time and help bring the Games to life.”

To add to the excitement legendary figure skater and world champion Michelle Kwan and Olympic champions Nadia Comaneci and Bart Conner welcomed Kim in a video message.

The skater joins the growing group which includes American gold medal swimmer, Michael Phelps, Chinese Actress Zhang Ziyi, international basketball star Yao Ming, Romanian gold medalist Nadia Comaneci, three-time Major golf champion Padraig Harrington, figure skating World champion Scott Hamilton, actress and singer Vanessa Williams, and Princess of Monaco Charlene Wittstock who are currently serving as Special Olympics Global Ambassadors.

http://www.sportsfea...ans-in-new-role

:biggrin2:
Posted Image

Thanked by 5 Members:

#7 User is offline   spiccoli 

• Senior

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:40 AM

Making of J.estina:

Posted Image

:wub:

More:

http://gall.dcinside...741&page=1&bbs=
Posted Image

Thanked by 5 Members:

#8 User is offline   SquallB 

• Senior

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:42 AM

View Postlakewood, on 18 August 2011 - 11:29 PM, said:

New thread begins.

Why close the thread when there were lot of news/activities over the last few days? :sweatingbullets: I am all for starting new threads, but we should give more consideration to timing of opening/closing threads (close it when there are few activities).

I am going to re-post some latest news in the closed thread to bring them over here :P
"If this was track and field, we just watched an 8-second 100 meters." Jamie McGrigor, a skating analyst commenting on Yuna's LP performance at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics

"How do you make a Kim Yu-Na... you can't. It's truly a gift." Scott Hamilton, gold medalist and NBC commentator

#9 Guest_Daniel5555_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:52 AM

Great interview with TIME... Thinking well about it, "Homage to Korea" may be the most risky program ever from Yuna, because it is so unusual to a see on a top level someone using a traditional music (even in a modern adaptation). But that risk really paid off, I think, even for non-Asians. Seeing Yuna skating to authentic Korean music was always a dream for many fans.

If Yuna will participate in any competition next season, I actually would like to see her skating to "Homage to Korea"/Arirang again.

Thanked by 4 Members:

#10 User is offline   spiccoli 

• Senior

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:55 AM

View PostDaniel5555, on 19 August 2011 - 07:52 AM, said:

Great interview with TIME... Thinking well about it, "Homage to Korea" may be the most risky program ever from Yuna, because it is so unusual to a see on a top level someone using a traditional music (even in a modern adaptation). But that risk really paid off, I think, even for non-Asians. Seeing Yuna skating to authentic Korean music was always a dream for many fans.

If Yuna will participate in any competition next season, I actually would like to see her skating to "Homage to Korea"/Arirang again.

Hear, hear. :biggrin2:
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   SquallB 

• Senior

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:58 AM

Another article on Yuna being the No. 1 advertising model for 3 years in a row. :respec1:

http://www.hankyung....d=2011081833617

Top 5 is impressive:

1. Yuna Kim
2. HyunBin (the biggest male star right now)
3. SeungGi Lee (singer.. I don't know why this guy is popular...he's nothing special)
4. TaeHee Kim (the biggest female star in the past decade)
5. HyungJung Ko (once married to Samsung family, the biggest female star among the older generation)

This survey is pretty respected because the result is actually based on reply from 3,000 consumers.

This post has been edited by SquallB: 19 August 2011 - 08:02 AM

"If this was track and field, we just watched an 8-second 100 meters." Jamie McGrigor, a skating analyst commenting on Yuna's LP performance at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics

"How do you make a Kim Yu-Na... you can't. It's truly a gift." Scott Hamilton, gold medalist and NBC commentator

Thanked by 4 Members:

#12 User is offline   SquallB 

• Senior

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:11 AM

Some more pics from yesterday's Special Olympics promotion event. I had to bring some of these up to the new thread because these are only a day old! For more pics, please visit the old thread.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Just how awesome it would be to skate with Yuna and get lessons from her... these people are SO lucky. :biggrin2:

Thanked by 5 Members:

#13 User is offline   finesand 

• Senior

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:15 AM

Interview about Special Olympics and advice for the athletes

This post has been edited by finesand: 19 August 2011 - 09:19 AM

Thanked by 4 Members:

#14 User is offline   jatale 

• Junior
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:20 AM

I hope this post is not misplaced, but I think I've seen Yuna's age listed as 21 in some translated Korean articles but she won't be 21 until next month. Why is this?

#15 User is offline   SquallB 

• Senior

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:33 AM

Yuna will turn 21 next month.

Some Korean articles cite her age under the old Korean system, which is dumb and I never use it. Under that system, you are 1 year old when you are born and then gain 1 year of age on January 1 of every calendar year. I personally hate it, because it makes you 1-2 years older than you actually are... it's only good if you are young and want to be older. :biggrin2:

Thanked by 2 Members:

#16 Guest_Daniel5555_*

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:37 AM

SquallB
Thank you for bringing yesterday's photos here. I agree they should be mentioned in the beginning of this thread.

#17 User is offline   finesand 

• Senior

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:57 AM

View Postjatale, on 19 August 2011 - 09:20 AM, said:

I hope this post is not misplaced, but I think I've seen Yuna's age listed as 21 in some translated Korean articles but she won't be 21 until next month. Why is this?

Koreans count age as soon as a baby is born for the convenience in grouping.

1990 - 1
1991 - 2
2011 - 22

Sometimes it's more simple and convenient than Western way in age counting.
In this way, you don't have to memorize your birth date to figure out your age. Only with the year of birth, you can figure out your age.

Your age = This Year - Birth Year + 1
Yuna's age = 2011 - 1990 + 1 = 22

In western way, Yuna is 20 years old and she is going to be 21 on September 20th.

Therefore, in the article, 21 isn't Korean age but probably meant "almost 21 in western age", I guess.

This post has been edited by finesand: 19 August 2011 - 12:07 PM

Thanked by 1 Member:
jatale 

#18 User is offline   jaylee 

• Senior

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:50 PM

View Postspiccoli, on 19 August 2011 - 02:48 AM, said:

Latest Article from TIME: :biggrin2:

10 Questions with Figure Skater Kim Yu-Na
By Clara Kim Friday, Aug. 19, 2011

http://www.time.com/...l?xid=rss-world

Really enjoyed both the questions and Yu-Na's answers. I also like the picture they chose to accompany the article, the way Yu-Na's arms are spread during her spiral. :blush: Very nice.

By the way, @PChiddy re-tweeted the article. :biggrin2:
Yunapedia: Yu-Na news, facts, videos.

#19 User is offline   jatale 

• Junior
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:46 PM

Thank you Finesand for explaining the Korean age calculation. Is this something unique to Korea or do other Asian nations use the same system?

#20 Guest_Daniel5555_*

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:00 PM

jatale

Thank you Finesand for explaining the Korean age calculation. Is this something unique to Korea or do other Asian nations use the same system?

No, it's not unique to Korea, but other nations may use a bit different system.

For example, in China, it is the same, except that new year doesn't happen 1st January, but is determined by lunisolar calendar and the date can be any day between January 21 and February 20.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users