Yu-Na Kim Forum: Rounding up media & skating world's reactions to YuNa's Olympic performance - Yu-Na Kim Forum

• 47 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rounding up media & skating world's reactions to YuNa's Olympic performance

#1 User is offline   inspiration 

• Senior
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:06 PM

I thought this topic deserves a separate thread from the LP thread, so I am just starting it.

Thanked by 8 Members:

#2 User is offline   inspiration 

• Senior

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

Jaime Sale, a Canadian pair skater, victim of the Salt Lake scandal.

https://twitter.com/JamieSale
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   jaylee 

• Senior

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

Yunapedia: Yu-Na news, facts, videos.

#4 User is offline   inspiration 

• Senior

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:37 PM

Posted Image

Thanked by 5 Members:

#5 User is offline   spiccoli 

• Senior
  • {Real Name}:Zaldine

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:49 PM

I don't know where to put this but I guess it fits.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Thanked by 6 Members:

#6 User is offline   joursdepleu 

• Novice
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Eating, watching figure skating, acting, more eating, cooking, sleeping, and being lazy in general :)

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:56 PM

View Postspiccoli, on 20 February 2014 - 05:49 PM, said:

I don't know where to put this but I guess it fits.

Posted Image

oh god...i'm actually crying...The injustice is too much to bear and I'm sososo happy that the Korean public is taking this moment to thank Yuna

Thanked by 3 Members:

#7 User is offline   breynows 

• Intermediate
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:29 PM

God at first it was understandable, but now... i can't even beliave that such a cruel thing has been done to all those girls, everytime i think about this, i just want to drop a bomb in Sochi seriously <_< .

#8 User is offline   jaylee 

• Senior

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

http://www.washingto...7942_story.html

But was Kim truly undeserving? The defending gold medalist, skating last, didn’t have a visible weakness in her free skate to the tango Adios Piazzola, alternately swanning and almost levitating on some of her jumps. It left even the most expert observers troubled and divided. How did the judges discern the winner, much less a more-than five-point difference between them?

“I don’t know,” said former world champion champion Kurt Browning, now a broadcaster, who was at rink-side. “I’m trying to figure it out, okay?... I thought Yu-Na outskated her, but it’s not just a skating system. It’s math.”

Thanked by 4 Members:

#9 User is offline   jaylee 

• Senior

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

http://ftw.usatoday....cs-controversy/

Russians would have said Sotnikova was robbed if she had lost. Koreans will say the same thing happened to their national hero. Someone has to win and when the decision is left up to the judges, the runner-up is always going to have an argument. That’s the way it goes in Olympic figure skating.

#10 User is offline   shallwedansu 

• Senior

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:38 PM

John Kerr, ice dancer @jkerrbear

- Kim should be the 2014 Olympic Champion
- @tony_wheeler yes in fairness she did skate awesome. It just undermines everything I learned about COP
- @PushDicksButton @toddeldredge it was a win under the 6.0 system but not the COP

Jamie Sale, pairs skater @jamiesale

- Ok I'm not a judge but I just watched the #womansfigureskating again + I STRONGLY disagree w results like MANY others. #ISU now what?
- @wlft1 I would have had Yuna 1, Carolina 2 and Adelina 3

Thanked by 2 Members:

#11 User is offline   jaylee 

• Senior

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:41 PM

http://www.nytimes.c...d=tw-share&_r=0

Jumps broken down.

Thanked by 2 Members:

#12 User is offline   Empress of ice 

• Senior
  • Interests:Figure skating, music,cinema, foreign languages, travel

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:52 PM

http://www.lequipe.f...ndale-un/443278

Posted Image

This article is from the French sport newspaper 'LEQUIPE' the famous one which few days ago dealed with corrupted judges in Sochi games...
I skip Russian stuff & only translate the most important part

[Judges have given to Russia their first female olympic champion in its history in figure skating. But Adelina Sotnikova haven't deserve it...

It was predictible. Since the beginning of olympic games, every Russian performances were rewarded with overscored marks.Either with Evgueni Plushenko, gorgeous Julia Lipnitskaïa, du couple Volosozhar-Trankov, which hands touched the ice or 2 foot-landed jumps rewarded [instead of being sanctionned).
Nevertheless,until now, who deserved it won it.On the last day of figure skating it's no longer the case.

Though little mistake on combinaison jump landing, she [Sotnikova] domninated technically.Nothing to say about it.But, on artistiques components, you should explain how she can be so closed on elegance, expression, maturity and beauty of South Korean Kim Yu-na (2nd) or the Italian Carolina Kostner,who gets the first olympic medal for women in her country (3rd). Nonsense! How could they do that?

Reigning Olympic champion & world champion, Kim Yu-na (23 ans) won't join Sonja Henie from Norway & Katarina Witt from Germany, the only ones to keep this special gold though a somptuous tango from Piazzolla.]

Thank you French newspaper to react this way!!!

This post has been edited by Empress of ice: 21 February 2014 - 07:51 AM

#13 User is offline   lilahozi 

• Intermediate
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:04 PM

LMAO - Phil Hersh tells it like it is - http://www.chicagotr...,0,863440.story

Having expressed her gratitude to the judges for the scores that left her just .28 behind Kim after the short program, Sotnikova might think of sending caviar and champagne for their continued generosity in the free skate.

Thanked by 5 Members:

#14 User is offline   NewYunaFan 

• Senior

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:21 PM

I wonder if there's pressure from the federations to the skaters and officials to stay mum about the judging. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a gag rule or something. It's mostly retired skaters and commentators of networks who aren't so invested in the Olympics that are freely expressing their doubts and suspicions.

#15 User is offline   NewYunaFan 

• Senior

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

Has this been posted?

http://www.usatoday....e-gold/5643143/

SOCHI, Russia -- One of the nine judges who picked a young Russian skater over two more refined competitors for the Olympic gold medal Thursday night was suspended for a year for trying to fix an event at the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano.

And another is the wife of the president of the Russian figure skating federation.
Another Olympics, another huge skating controversy involving the countries of the former Soviet Union.

The issue of inflated scores for the Russians has been a hot topic of conversation at these Olympic Games, and the women's figure skating long program Thursday night renewed the debate. Adelina Sotnikova of Russia was the surprising winner of the gold medal, upsetting reigning Olympic gold medalist Yuna Kim of South Korea and Italy's Carolina Kostner.

Thanked by 6 Members:

#16 User is offline   jaylee 

• Senior

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:29 PM

Another Phil Hersh article, with quotes from Elvis Stojko defending the result; Paul Wylie agreeing with the result but not the margin.

http://www.chicagotr...,0,863440.story

http://olympics.si.c..._medium=twitter

“It wasn’t my best performance, but it was okay for me,” she said. “I’m so glad I finished my last competition as a skater and did a clean short program and a clean long program... It was different from Vancouver because there was no obvious goal. At that time, I could die for gold. That desire, that strong wish, was not as present [in Sochi].” Kim confirmed that this was her last competition and that she would not compete at the world championships next month. Asked what she would do next, she simply said, “I just want to rest.”

Thanked by 2 Members:

#17 User is offline   inspiration 

• Senior

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:29 PM

This is a video of Katarina Witt's reaction. According to the Korean caption, the video confirms those Korean news reports saying she voiced her disappointment, frustration, anger on the results.

She made it clear she was not upset about Adelina per se, but was utterly sure about Yuna winning. Hopefully, our German friends can help with translation.

Thanked by 6 Members:

#18 User is offline   inspiration 

• Senior

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:37 PM

View Postlilahozi, on 20 February 2014 - 08:04 PM, said:

LMAO - Phil Hersh tells it like it is - http://www.chicagotr...,0,863440.story

The article includes some great quotes from Jamie Sale, Ashley Wagner, and Joannie Rochette.

Canada’s Jamie Sale, who received a pairs gold medal at the 2002 Olympics after a French judge admitted she was pressured to fix the outcome in favor of Sale’s victorious Russian opponents, tweeted she had just watched the women’s free skate again and “I STRONGLY DISAGREE w/results like MANY others. #ISU now what?”

The International Skating Union has created a scoring system so mathematically complex, it is incomprehensible. On top of that, it allows judging and technical panels to have massive conflicts of interest (one judge on Thursday’s panel, Alla Shekhovtseva, is married to the former Russian Skating Federation president) and include cheaters (another judge, Yuri Balkov of Ukraine, had been suspended for his role in prejudging an event).

“That’s figure skating at its finest,” Wylie said.

That all the judges’ scores are anonymous only adds to such cynicism.

“The sport needs to be more accountable,” Wagner said.

Joannie Rochette of Canada, the 2010 women’s bronze medalist, found Thursday’s result “weird” but would not comment on the judges because she was, like many fans, simply confused.

“I don’t know how this works,” she said. “I thought I did.”

Thanked by 5 Members:

#19 User is offline   TheQueen 

• Preliminary
  • PipPip

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:00 PM

New content and info added to this Christine Brennan article about the judging.

Two of their replacements were Ukrainian Yuri Balkov, who was kicked out of judging for a year after being tape-recorded by a Canadian judge trying to fix the Nagano ice dancing competition, and Alla Shekhovtseva, a Russian judge who is married to Russian federation president Valentin Pissev. The two other new long program judges were from Estonia and France, which was the country that conspired with Russia to try to fix the pairs and ice dancing competition at the 2002 Olympic Games in Salt Lake City.

"The (judging) panel made me wish that the United States and Canada had split up into many different countries," said choreographer Lori Nichol, who works with Kostner and fourth-place finisher Gracie Gold of the United States, among others. "It certainly was a different panel tonight."

She was referring to the fact that in the days of the Soviet Union, only one judge represented the entire country, all its republics. Now, judges from several former Soviet republics can be on one panel, as was the case Thursday night.

In other words, the Cold War is alive and well in the Olympic figure skating venue.

What happened tonight in the women's figure skating competition was worse than the 2002 Salt Lake City pairs judging scandal because, this time, we'll never find out who might have done what because all the judges' scores are now anonymous. In 2002, French judge Marie-Reine LeGougne's scores were easily identifiable. But in 2004, the International Skating Union adopted a new judging system in which all judges scores are now totaled into two numbers: a total element score and a total program component score.

The idea was to help eliminate bloc judging and cheating, but the result is that the system now hides, and even can protect, those who are not playing by the rules.

U.S. Olympic team bronze medalist Ashley Wagner said she was not able to watch much if any of the medalists' performances because she was competing in the final group of skaters. But she herself was the recipient of some questionable judging, finishing seventh, two places below Russian Julia Lipnitskaia, even though Wagner never fell and Lipnitskaia fell in both her short and long programs.

"People need to be held accountable," Wagner said after the competition, "they need to get rid of the anonymous judging. There are many changes that need to come to this sport if we want a fan base because you can't depend on this sport to always be there when you need it. ... This sport needs to be held more accountable with its system if they want people to believe in it."

Link: http://www.usatoday....e-gold/5643143/

Thanked by 6 Members:

#20 User is offline   rainydays 

• Juvenile
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:30 PM

I had this posted in LP thread, but I'll repost it here.

For a light reading, and those you want to see some real time reactions of "normal" people, here is the comment stream on the ladies figure skating tonight on a website called OhNoTheyDidn't.

People reacting to Yuna skating starts around P.148 or so, and by P. 164, people are reacting to Yuna's scores and that goes on for dozens of pages.

http://ohnotheydidnt...m/85863540.html

There are a lot of expletives at the judging and the scores. It's almost funny how upset they are on Yuna's behalf. :biggrin2:

This post has been edited by rainydays: 20 February 2014 - 10:17 PM

Thanked by 2 Members:

Share this topic:

• 47 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users