Yu-Na Kim Forum: Sochi Olympics lead-up! - Yu-Na Kim Forum

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sochi Olympics lead-up! Fluffs, Articles, Discussions, Interviews, etc.

#1 User is offline   prettykeys 

• Senior
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Figure Skating

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

So...we all know that in an Olympic year, there will be all kinds of stories, commercials, documentaries, interviews, highlights, etc. that will be circulating before the events start.

I would like to gather those sort of things here, starting with a VERY early NBC commercial posted by let's talk on GS:

Ooohh...YuNa is featured twice in it! :respec1: Along with Evgeni and, I believe, Shen/Zhao.

Thanked by 2 Members:

#2 User is offline   inspiration 

• Senior

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:41 PM

Sasha Cohen highly spoke of YuNa during the interview with Icenetwork today (full article http://web.icenetwor...0&vkey=ice_news)

Cohen, a full-time student at Columbia University, will keep a close eye on the skating scene this fall.

"The U.S. ladies' chances are good," Cohen said. "I think this year will show a lot of development and maturity, especially for Gracie [Gold], who is a younger skater. I'm really excited to see what she looks like this season.

"Ultimately, ice is slippery, and [Olympic medals] are going to be open to those skaters who have great nights. Yu-Na Kim is perhaps in a league of her own, but I think the U.S. ladies have good chances to medal."

Thanked by 5 Members:

#3 User is offline   inspiration 

• Senior

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   inspiration 

• Senior

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:50 AM

news clip on the Olympic prep:

one quick comment from David Wilson begins at 1:00:
"The main focus of when I'm choreographing is how to take advantage of the music and how to express the music to its fullest potential."

Thanked by 2 Members:

#5 User is offline   cactus 

• Senior

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:02 AM

Olympic silver medalist in 2002 in Ice-dancing Ilya Averbukh in a conversation with the correspondent of ITAR-TASS has expressed his opinion that the Russian figure skaters at the home Games in Sochi will have the initial advantage over their foreign rivals. Averbuch believes that Russians Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov are the main favorites of the tournament in the Olympic pairs figure skating.

- What our fans can expect in the women's figure skating?

- In Russia a very strong group of young single skaters have come. They are - Adelina Sotnikova and Elizaveta Tuktamysheva and Elena Rodionova, and Julia Lipnitskaya. I think that in the next four Olympic years these girls will always keep fighting for titles on most major international competitions. They need to add a little more skill, so that these athletes can claim for "gold". If we compare these figure skaters, I would now opted Adelina Sotnikova for her difficult program. But Lisa Tuktamysheva practically doesn't her anything. But the selection of the Games in Sochi, we can not forget about last year's World Championship silver medalist Alena Leonova. She grabbed good luck by the tail a year ago, becoming the second at the tournament. Everyone understand it well. But why is not Alena to show her best at the Olympic Games in Sochi? She is also, like all of her rivals, is preparing for the next season.
The main contender for the win in the women's figure skating I think is Kim Yu-Na. She triumphantly returned to the ice in the last season after a long break, becoming a world champion. It's a great skater, and deal with it will be daunting. Also, as with the Japanese women.

From Here

Thanked by 3 Members:

#6 User is offline   inspiration 

• Senior

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:12 AM

Icenetwork's article on Orser and the Olympic season. He talked about how anxious and sleepless he was during the 09-10 season, and now can stay cool.

Orser preps students, psyche for Olympic season
Champion coach keeps focus despite mounting expectations, pressures
By Lois Elfman, special to icenetwork.com

(08/15/2013) - Two-time Olympic silver medalist, world champion and eight-time Canadian men's champion Brian Orser is doing his best to stay calm heading into the 2013-14 season.
He endured quite a few sleepless nights leading up the 2010 Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver, British Columbia. It was his first time accompanying an athlete to an Olympics, and the pressure on him and his student, Yu-Na Kim, was intense.

"That whole season, I didn't sleep very well," Orser said. "I wanted to be sure I did everything I possibly could.

"This time, I kind of know better," he added. "So far, I'm sleeping OK. Ask me again in a couple of months."

Having successfully completed his first Olympic coaching experience, which concluded with Kim's winning gold, Orser, 51, may be slightly less stressed, but he's no less attentive to details. As coach of 2013 European champion and world bronze medalist Javier Fernández, 2013 Japanese champion and 2012 world bronze medalist Yuzuru Hanyu and Canadian men's competitor Nam Nguyen, he's making sure he and colleagues David Wilson and Tracy Wilson leave nothing to chance.

"The most important thing for us is to really pay attention every day," said Orser, who is the skating director of the Toronto Cricket Skating and Curling Club. "We have to pay attention to the calendar. We have to pay attention to all the details that need to be taken care of so these kids don't have to worry themselves."

Each skater has a unique personality. Despite high expectations, Fernández, 22, tends to be more laid back, whereas Hanyu, 18, is very decisive about his desire to medal.

"With Javier, this year we're not going to all of a sudden say, 'You can be an Olympic medalist.' We're going to ease into it the same way we have the last two years and try to keep him relaxed and calm," Orser said.

"He says, 'I'm going to try to do the best I can.' That's the way he thinks," Orser noted. "Yuzuru wants to win."

There are many young skaters at the rink to whom Orser gives input, but for the Olympic season, he is focusing the majority of his time on Fernández, Hanyu and Nguyen.

"I'm better with packaging and planning and finding an individualized training schedule," Orser said. "I don't have a cookie-cutter way of doing this ... I think the psychology of dealing with each of these athletes, you have to customize the training for each one."

Earlier this summer, Orser was asked to do some show choreography in Japan, and he accepted the gig. It had been four years since he'd worked on a show, so he enjoyed stretching those muscles (Wilson worked with him). After nearly two decades as a professional skater -- touring with Stars on Ice and performing in many shows -- he has a feel for production numbers. In the past, Orser choreographed for Disson Skating, Holiday Festival on Ice, Celebration on Ice and other shows.

"It was fun and kind of cool for me to have Yuzuru and Javier (they and Nguyen performed in the shows) see me put a show together because they'd never seen that," Orser said. "I'm proud of the show and happy to be a part of it. It was another connection with these guys."

During the summer, Orser is doing his utmost to spend weekends at his summer cottage because once autumn comes, it will be go, go, go. Between Hanyu and Fernández, he'll be traveling to four Grand Prix competitions and, hopefully, the Grand Prix Final.

If the road leads Orser back to the Olympic boards, as expected, he will be traveling to Sochi. In recent weeks, there has been a spotlight on Russia's recently enacted laws that ban all gay rights "propaganda." Orser, who is openly gay, said he will absolutely accompany his students to the Games.

"It seems so archaic to have that type of outlook on gay orientation," Orser said. "I don't get it, but we're heading into the Olympic Games, and we're going to be going to Sochi.

"I'm going as a skating coach and part of a team."

I am kind of missing stuff like his extensive interview with NBC, which gave us some good insight into what YuNa went through and how she prepared for the Vancouver Olympics.

Thanked by 6 Members:

#7 User is offline   prettykeys 

• Senior
  • Interests:Figure Skating

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:37 PM

Flashback, and apologies if this has been posted in this forum in another thread.

A few months ago this user uploaded the FS portion of Ladies Group 4 in Vancouver. (She had uploaded the SP's but she had originally had trouble uploading the FS due to copyright issues.)

Watch the whole beginning...then you can see YuNa flying through the warm-up. It's magnificent to watch on its own. I wonder whether it's because she shared the training ice with speed skaters as a youngster that she is so fast. And everyone looked so calm, the other skaters as well as the coaches. They really gave us a final group to remember that night. :)

Thanked by 1 Member:
cactus 

#8 User is offline   os168 

• Senior

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:06 PM

View Postprettykeys, on 17 September 2013 - 04:37 PM, said:

Flashback, and apologies if this has been posted in this forum in another thread.

A few months ago this user uploaded the FS portion of Ladies Group 4 in Vancouver. (She had uploaded the SP's but she had originally had trouble uploading the FS due to copyright issues.)

Watch the whole beginning...then you can see YuNa flying through the warm-up. It's magnificent to watch on its own. I wonder whether it's because she shared the training ice with speed skaters as a youngster that she is so fast. And everyone looked so calm, the other skaters as well as the coaches. They really gave us a final group to remember that night. :)

Amazing... i am thinking 100 laps punishment has its advantages.

Thanked by 1 Member:
cactus 

#9 User is offline   cactus 

• Senior

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:19 AM

In Germany, the tournament Nebelhorn Trophy will be awarded the remaining Olympic licenses in figure skating.

"So, from 26 to 28 September, the annual tournament will take Oberstdorf Nebelhorn Trophy, which this year is also the final stage of qualification for the Olympics. As you know, the Olympics figure skating, both men's and ladies', has a maximum quota of 30 participants, ice dancing got representation in 24 pairs, and finally, sports pairs skating - 20 duets. Most of the spots to the Games in Sochi was got at the last World Championships in London, Canada, after which the remaining six places for singles (men and ladies), four - in pairs and five - in pairs. For these spots, will lead the fight at the Nebelhorn Trophy representatives of countries who are not yet able to obtain a license in any of the four disciplines. However, even here there is a slight restriction: if the fight was in London for the maximum possible number of spots, in Oberstdorf, countries may take only one license in each of the species.

Total orders for the tournament have filed 154 athletes from 50 countries. For one part of them Nebelhorn Trophy - the opportunity to present to judges and break in their new programs for other prevalent - the final chance to win a ticket to Sochi. In the men's singles of the 34 alleged members 26 will compete in six Olympic licenses. Besides the famous countries to Germany skaters come from as far away from the ice battles powers such as Australia, Brazil, Mexico and the Philippines. Will we see any of them in Sochi will be announced in the coming days. Speaking of top-level athletes, it will perform in Oberstdorf Japanese Nobunari Oda, winner of last year's tournament, and the silver medalist Junior World Championship Jason Brown of the United States not participating in the Olympic race. Russia at the Nebelhorn Trophy will be represented by Artur Dmitriev, and also without claims to the Games in 2014.

The girls are fighting for a place to be no less sharp . At six licenses claim 29 skaters, including two-time European bronze medalist Elena Gedevanishvili. If successful, Sochi will become the third Olympics for the Georgian athlete. Recall that in Vancouver, Elena was one of the contenders for the top places, but she was only 14th. Another hunter for a license will be Julia Turkkila. Say what you like, but without their leader Kira Korpi Finnish solo performer are modest. As to the exotic, then the ladies geography more widely - in addition to those already mentioned countries Luxembourg, India, and even South Africa sent their representatives. However, the focus will still not focused on them, and who returned after a two year absence and child birth twice world champion Miki Ando and debuting at senior level Elena Radionova, our (Russian) Junior World Championship.
..." (championat.com)

Thanked by 2 Members:

#10 User is offline   yon 

• Senior

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:32 AM

Is it the right place to post this news?

"Olympic judges draw held in Oberstdorf"

http://www.icenetwor.../09/30/62218608

Korea was chosen as ladies panel! :respec1:

No Canada in men's panel. :o

Thanked by 3 Members:

#11 User is offline   inspiration 

• Senior

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

View Postyon, on 01 October 2013 - 08:32 AM, said:

Is it the right place to post this news?

"Olympic judges draw held in Oberstdorf"

http://www.icenetwor.../09/30/62218608

Korea was chosen as ladies panel! :respec1:

No Canada in men's panel. :o

Interesting draws--the only Korean judge on the panels got assigned to the ladies event and the same for the Spanish judge to the men's event. Certainly good news for YuNa I think. :)

#12 User is offline   NewYunaFan 

• Senior

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:22 AM

View Postinspiration, on 01 October 2013 - 09:58 AM, said:

Interesting draws--the only Korean judge on the panels got assigned to the ladies event and the same for the Spanish judge to the men's event. Certainly good news for YuNa I think. :)

Not necessarily. Korean judges are not as generous as the others. Just look at her Worlds lp score vs. Nat's.

#13 User is offline   Realdeal 

• Senior

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:09 AM

And, technically, these judges belong to the ISU and do not represent his/her country anymore as in the old 6.0 days. (I think Scott Hamilton talked about this in the TSL interview?!) But I sometimes think this is just a charade. <_<

#14 User is offline   inspiration 

• Senior

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:49 PM

Yeah...I don't really suggest that the Korean judge single-handedly could do YuNa a big favor with some blunt favoritism. At the end of the day, she or he is an ISU official judge. In an ideal word, YuNa, as with other skaters, should be treated fair and square all the time, but we all know that's not the case; politicking is almost always in place even among the judges. Then, it won't hurt to have a judge panel that is likely in more favor of our skater than not. Also possibly helpful in terms of the representativeness of Korea in an implicit way--again, I'm not talking about some sort of collusion, which will be virtually impossible considering the KSU's power.

And whether YuNa was underscored at the Nationals is debatable I think. So many factors came into play--things like the differences between the two performances and between YuNa and the rest. I recall reading an interview of a former ISU judge where the judge said that the way the judging system works is not complete blind or independent, meaning judges tend to conform to the consensus quite intentionally. My guess is that the Korean judge would not likely give marks at the lower side of a group at least and that is not a bad thing for YuNa in my opinion.

#15 User is offline   San_Fran 

• Senior

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:15 PM

I've not been much of an Ashley Wagner fan until now.

“I have gay family members and a lot of friends in the LGBT community,” Wagner said. “I have such a firm stance on this. I believe we should all have equal rights, and I also do not support the legislation in Russia."

I'm very impressed. Well done Ashley.

#16 User is offline   NewYunaFan 

• Senior

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:16 PM

I don't mean to say that Yuna was undermarked at Nationals. Good heavens! :laughing: I'd say relative to her Worlds score it was actually about right--her Worlds performance was much superior, technically and artistically in my opinion.

Now I don't think this Korean judge is of any advantage--especially since if the Korean judge gives her too high score, his/her marks get dropped because the average is always trimmed. Furthermore, I would imagine this judge might score her in the middle to lower range, to avoid being singled out as biased. The protocols may be anonymous, but judges' scores do get evaluated and singled out when it's outside the "corridor".

ETA: I would speculate that for Yuna the ideal panel would exclude both Korean, Japanese and Italian judges--those for whom holding her scores down would be of no benefit for their skater. In other words, judges from countries whose skaters have no realistic chance of overtaking Yuna if given a little bit of favoritism.

This post has been edited by NewYunaFan: 01 October 2013 - 10:22 PM

#17 User is offline   spiccoli 

• Senior
  • {Real Name}:Zaldine

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:12 AM

View Postprettykeys, on 10 June 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

So...we all know that in an Olympic year, there will be all kinds of stories, commercials, documentaries, interviews, highlights, etc. that will be circulating before the events start.

I would like to gather those sort of things here, starting with a VERY early NBC commercial posted by let's talk on GS:

Ooohh...YuNa is featured twice in it! :respec1: Along with Evgeni and, I believe, Shen/Zhao.

Probably this is new?

Posted Image
Posted Image

Thanked by 2 Members:
os168 , Hoshi 

#18 User is offline   San_Fran 

• Senior

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

View Postprettykeys, on 10 June 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

Her appearance on the video skating her Olympic FS is obvious. Is her 1st appearance on the video around the 27 second mark? Where was she performing? It looks like it's from one of her All That Skate shows.

#19 User is offline   Realdeal 

• Senior

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:29 AM

View PostNewYunaFan, on 01 October 2013 - 10:16 PM, said:

I don't mean to say that Yuna was undermarked at Nationals. Good heavens! :laughing: I'd say relative to her Worlds score it was actually about right--her Worlds performance was much superior, technically and artistically in my opinion.

Now I don't think this Korean judge is of any advantage--especially since if the Korean judge gives her too high score, his/her marks get dropped because the average is always trimmed. Furthermore, I would imagine this judge might score her in the middle to lower range, to avoid being singled out as biased. The protocols may be anonymous, but judges' scores do get evaluated and singled out when it's outside the "corridor".

ETA: I would speculate that for Yuna the ideal panel would exclude both Korean, Japanese and Italian judges--those for whom holding her scores down would be of no benefit for their skater. In other words, judges from countries whose skaters have no realistic chance of overtaking Yuna if given a little bit of favoritism.

Somewhat related to to the judging we've been talking about, so I'll post the TSL talk on GOEs.
http://www.theskatin...e-ijs-jump-goe/

Blah. <_< I'm generally fine with their break down of the jumps of Yuna and others but what they don't talk about is that it's almost impossible to have six or more bullet points in a jump--especially in ladies competition. I find it hilarious that Dave pulled a video of Jason Brown to demonstrate Yuna's lack of preceding steps before the jump. Also, the way they broke down Yuna's solo lutz is somewhat misleading since you can't have a good free extension leg like Carolina when there is a choreography sequence right after the jump to express the music like Yuna did.

I disagree with their evaluation of Caro's Loop as +3 jump. She turned her head back to check her rear before the jump which should be given a deduction. I highly doubt the jump matched the music because I remember how terrible that LP was in terms its disconnectedness with the music. It had a good (but not great) height/distance but her entry speed was slow which was nothing like what Yuna did with her solo lutz. (Again, there is a trade off for doing or not doing several crossovers to gain speed; you can't simply have both.) Dave seems to be giving a special brownie point for Caro's free leg extension more than Yuna's height and distance.

All in all, I hate this judge-your-own exercises by doing replays and slow-mo of Youtube video clip because it's rather pointless. Judges will give whatever they think is proper at that very moment or, worse, what their political agenda is for the day.

This post has been edited by Realdeal: 03 October 2013 - 06:54 AM

Thanked by 1 Member:
jaylee 

#20 User is offline   Hoshi 

• Senior
  • {Real Name}:M. Wilson

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:50 AM

That free leg extension is more of 6.0 system thing where ladies skaters more than often had extended legs in spins and landing jumps, a la Michelle Kwan :swoon1: I do give a big applause for Carolina's landing posture but other than that, there's pretty much nothing better than Yuna's jumps. I broke down Yuna's jump GOE bulletpoints in Les Mis thread and KOV thread, so I won't... :popcorn:
Posted Image

Thanked by 3 Members:

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users