Yu-Na Kim Forum: Retrospective: The Danse Macabre SP 2008 - 2009 - Yu-Na Kim Forum

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Retrospective: The Danse Macabre SP 2008 - 2009 (Arguably the greatest ladies SP EVER?!!)

Poll: Retrospective: Fan's poll on the Danse Macabre (51 member(s) have cast votes)

How high would you rank the Danse Macabre among Yuna's best programs?

1. No 1 - Best Ever (22 votes [43.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.14%

2. No 2 - It is darn close (11 votes [21.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.57%

3. No 3 - It is one of my favourites (9 votes [17.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

4. In my Top 5 - There are too many good programs too choose from (8 votes [15.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.69%

5. In my top 10 - I have interesting taste (1 votes [1.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.96%

6. Not in the Top 10 (Note: Then what the heck are you doing here?) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. It is the absolute worst (I am an anti and I registered just to vote) (0 votes [0.00%])

What do you like most about Danse Macabre?

1. Musicality (25 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. Technique (16 votes [10.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.67%

3. Speed (15 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

4. Interpretation (25 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

5. Costume (17 votes [11.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.33%

6. End Pose (14 votes [9.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.33%

7. Maestro Wilson's Choreography (13 votes [8.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.67%

8. It is impossible to say, she's just totally spectacular & more (23 votes [15.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.33%

9. Let me write about it and tell you later... (Please use the message board wisely) (2 votes [1.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.33%

Which in your opinion is the best Danse Macabre performance?

1. Cup of China (0 votes [0.00%])

2. Skate America (2 votes [4.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

3. Grand Prix Final (0 votes [0.00%])

4. 4CC (5 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

5. World Championship (42 votes [84.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 84.00%

6. I can't choose (1 votes [2.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   os168 

• Senior
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:43 PM

It is time for another Retrospective post.

This time the magnificent Danse Macabre.

Her WC record breaking performance

Amazing fan tribute by DESPICTURES

EuroSport version of WC

Interesting Comparison of her 3 GP performances with the 4CC

You can read more about this season from Jaylee's amazing write up for the 2008-2009 season @ Yunapedia.com
http://yunaforum.com...story_2008-2009

Please send your thoughts, reviews and comments about this amazing program and feel free to post some more videos.

This post has been edited by os168: 14 September 2011 - 08:39 AM

Thanked by 7 Members:

#2 Guest_Daniel5555_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:10 PM

Very nice idea for the thread, Os.

I will not go into much details right now. As I said many times before, it was Danse Macabre that made me into a fan, precisely the performance during GPF 2008. That wasn't the perfect performance, but it left an impact on me, because during it Yuna looked supernatural, completely out of this world and with some striking unearth beauty. I was really shocked by it in a very positive way and... Thus it started for me. Just you know, no one could be compared to her during those minutes.

Here is that performance: http://www.happyskat...+GPF+Korea+2008

Later she did better performances at 4CC and World championship. I don't know which was better, probably, 4CC in my opinion, though score doesn't say so, but they also were different.

I don't know if this is the best SP ever from her, because there are James Bond medley which is absolutely awesome and, I think, it probably surpasses Danse Macabre, there is Tango de Roxanne and there is Giselle though that one wasn't yet performed at full potential.

I don't even want to make a rating or anything, those all are just so different in their genre, that they really aren't comparable, I think.

One thing for sure is, though, that this one is landmark in history of figure skating, because it's a masterpiece that will be remember forever, it's like "before" and "after". She also showed incredible maturity in this one... People may say many things about later programs like Fever and so, but really this was the turning point and... If she portrayed death, there is nothing really that surpasses this in terms of maturity. So I think that Yuna is always developing herself, of course, but it's not like she lacked anything 3 years ago, she was already absolutely great and developed.

Thanked by 5 Members:

#3 Guest_Daniel5555_*

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:36 PM

I also would like to add, developing my thoughts in previous post, that if there is a reason why James Bond medley and other posterior programs with their performances are better than Danse Macabre (if they are), is that Yuna simply improved and got more experience. So the things could be reversed, in case she would get James Bond medley instead of Danse Macabre for that season and next season she would get Danse Macabre for Olympics, probably it would be just like now, but we would say that Danse Macabre is, probably, better, but the point is that she could perform anything with great quality.

I recall words by Brian Orser before season 2008-2009 that Yuna was a little girl before, but then she became a little woman (in 2008), and that was true.

Another unique thing about season 2008-2009 was that the programs from Yuna, at least to me, were somehow contrasted and even connected. I think, I never ever said this before, but Danse Macabre is something about death in a wide sense, but Scheherazade is a story about a young girl which strives to live. So they were contrasted with each other, not only conceptually, but in their whole style, like fierce Yuna in Danse Macabre against gentle and caring Yuna in Scheherazade. For me it was always like a small internal fight, I couldn't even decide which program I liked the most.

The later programs were also contrasted, like the piece of pop art which is James Bond medley against, maybe, even overly sophisticated Gershwin Concerto in F, which is one of those pieces that aren't easy to listen and it requires some effort to understand their beauty, but they are really worth that effort... Or the Giselle versus Homage to Korea.

But Danse Macabre and Scheherazade are the most contrasted of them and I always remember them as a tandem. They are really like made to come along. And it's incredible that it is same character/girl/person/Yuna who interprets those programs. Same can be said about the later programs too.

That's why I always say that Yuna is all about versatility.

Thanked by 3 Members:
rnrdj1 , os168 , Chinwa 

#4 User is offline   Chinwa 

• Novice
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:01 PM

Thx for starting this thread OS, :) Its definitely worth replaying, how can anyone forget this monumental program :giggle:

These are all great versions. 09 WC performance was the first time I saw this program, especially this version

What can I say, It's was like love at the first sight, :P at first I couldn't get enough of it, I was addicted for like 3 weeks, watching it at least 10 times a day :rofl2: If i got blown away by it, how much more would those that watched it live, especially the judges. Its one iconic program in fs history that will stay with on top and be remembered as one of the best, definitely revolutionary. :)

10Q Dan for sharing your experience/opinion, I agree with you, this program is phenomenal, her WC one is perfection and its hard to imagine that she can even improve and come up with more sophisticated and mature programs.

This post has been edited by Chinwa: 15 July 2011 - 11:06 PM

Posted Image

Thanked by 4 Members:

#5 User is offline   lakewood 

• Senior
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:21 AM

Definitely, her Danse Macabre will remain in history.

Thanked by 1 Member:
rnrdj1 

#6 User is offline   all4yuna:) 

• Novice
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:10 PM

For me, this is the greatest SP of Yuna. I still watch it some other times, though it's not as much as I did for the first 5 months I saw it..that was like 20 times or more a day! Speechless to see her skate that, especially at the WC. She's really on fire! Seems like nobody can stop her in the dance of death.
Posted Image

Thanked by 2 Members:

#7 User is offline   tiffyyt 

• Senior
  • {Real Name}:tiffany

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:13 PM

"The thing about Yuna is that along with her elegance she has fire."

Thanked by 4 Members:

#8 Guest_Daniel5555_*

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:21 AM

Thanks for all your posts!

I'd like to see more opinions... Jaylee, Rock, anyone else? :respec1:

I see many people watched and rewatched this program many times, just like me. I still watch it, and it never gets old.

#9 User is offline   spiccoli 

• Senior
  • {Real Name}:Zaldine

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:54 AM

My 2nd favorite SP of all time from Yuna (El Tango de Roxanne is still my favorite SP of Yuna). It was so fierce! Everything about the choreography, her musicality, the attitude, her jumps, especially her 3Flip-3toe, it was HUGE! Even her spin was faster! And of course the classic ending pose! :respec1:
Posted Image

Thanked by 3 Members:
rnrdj1 , os168 , Chinwa 

#10 User is offline   jatale 

• Junior
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:58 AM

Well, Danse Macabre is certainly among Yuna's great SPs. For me, this was the first performance I saw where Yuna shows all the maturity and power of her "mature" self. This performance marks the establishment of her dynasty over women's figure skating. While Yuna had many fantastic performances before this one, I think Danse marks her "coming of age" as a young woman, no longer a girl. The iconic ending pose of Danse, is unforgetable, it seals in people's minds a true performance masterpiece in skating history.

This post has been edited by jatale: 17 July 2011 - 10:00 AM

Thanked by 2 Members:
os168 , Chinwa 

#11 User is offline   Nadia 

• Senior

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:07 AM

Tango is what made me notice Yuna, but the waltz was so meh (and Miss Saigon is my LEAST favorite program by Yuna) that my interest waned (like, "So...she's not as special as I initially thought"). Then she came back with Danse & Scheherazade, and I was like, "THIS IS IT!" Those 2 programs embodied what I love about figure skating -- athleticism, artistry and musicality, not to mention the incredibly connection she has w/ the audience.

Thanked by 3 Members:

#12 User is offline   os168 

• Senior

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:05 AM

View PostNadia, on 18 July 2011 - 03:07 AM, said:

Tango is what made me notice Yuna, but the waltz was so meh (and Miss Saigon is my LEAST favorite program by Yuna) that my interest waned (like, "So...she's not as special as I initially thought"). Then she came back with Danse & Scheherazade, and I was like, "THIS IS IT!" Those 2 programs embodied what I love about figure skating -- athleticism, artistry and musicality, not to mention the incredibly connection she has w/ the audience.

On recent episode of Kiss and Cry, Yuna commented to the Kim Byung Man couple that Tango is one of her favorite music to perform to and every time she hear Tango, she want do another program.

I can't help but wonder what her thoughts of last season's many Tangos, and wonder if she might consider to slot one this year (if she intend to compete), since now everyone has apparently gone ballet/black swan themed :respec1:

I also revisited her Miss Saigon recently, and wonder if the fact of the venerability she portrayed in the program (+hello kitty) kind of costume had initially switched off the more feminist Asian female bit in some of us. Actually I found her WC version of it really touching, where she showed true grit pulling through from 5th place 'doing her absolutely best' even hampered by a serious injury, especially her lack of training therefore Stamina didn't help at that point, and LP wasn't known to be her strength. In a way Miss Saigon is an introspect quiet sort of character anyway, so it is not that easy to 'impress' as much as her other SP characters.

Thanked by 1 Member:
Chinwa 

#13 User is offline   lakewood 

• Senior
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:55 AM

View Postos168, on 18 July 2011 - 06:05 AM, said:

On recent episode of Kiss and Cry, Yuna commented to the Kim Byung Man couple that Tango is one of her favorite music to perform to and every time she hear Tango, she want do another program.

I can't help but wonder what her thoughts of last season's many Tangos, and wonder if she might consider to slot one this year (if she intend to compete), since now everyone has apparently gone ballet/black swan themed :biggrin2:

I also revisited her Miss Saigon recently, and wonder if the fact of the venerability she portrayed in the program (+hello kitty) kind of costume had initially switched off the more feminist Asian female bit in some of us. Actually I found her WC version of it really touching, where she showed true grit pulling through from 5th place 'doing her absolutely best' even hampered by a serious injury, especially her lack of training therefore Stamina didn't help at that point, and LP wasn't known to be her strength. In a way Miss Saigon is an introspect quiet sort of character anyway, so it is not that easy to 'impress' as much as her other SP characters.

Actually, I thought the same as you. It would be interesting if she does a Tango/Spanish piece this coming season.

Thanked by 1 Member:
os168 

#14 User is offline   kwanatic712 

• Senior

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:42 AM

Everything about it was perfection: wonderful music selection and edit, phenomenal choreography, perfect interpretation, stunning costume and packaging, crammed with difficulty, musicality up the wahzoo...it's my favorite program from her. :biggrin2:

I've stated before that Yu-Na's Danse Macabre, for me, is iconic. It was the program that solidified her as the one to beat, and the program that set her on the path to her world title and, ultimately, her gold in Vancouver. It was the program that launched Yu-Na Domination and ushered in her reign as the queen of figure skating. I've enjoyed many of her other programs but, IMO, she's done nothing that tops Danse. Danse is the masterpiece she's contributed to the sport...
Posted Image

Thanked by 2 Members:

#15 User is offline   Yunafan1 

• Intermediate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:fine arts, painting and drawing, music and history

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:20 PM

The most gorgeous SP I have seen in the last 13 years.

1. Musicality
2. Interpretation (the power of it!)
3. All the technical elements
4. Choreography
5. Speed
6. Costume
7. and the wonderful music itself by Camille Saint-Säens
all these things go together and make the most beautiful perfection I have ever seen. This is the performance I watch over and over and over and over and ust can't get enough.
'A masterpiece of a programme performed exquisitely'
'You can't teach that, you can't make somebody to do that, it's from a special place.'

(Danse Macabre 2009 Worlds, Eurosport)

'We have seen something extra special here'
'Absolutely sensational. It's not about what she does, it's about how she does it'

(Scheherazade 2009 Worlds, Eurosport)

'Just hold your breath and watch'
'Every movement of her body reflecting music'

(The Lark Ascending, 2007 Worlds, Eurosport)

Thanked by 2 Members:

#16 User is offline   surprised 

• Preliminary
  • PipPip

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:28 PM

heh. i'm late to this :blush:

This is the performance that made me a Yuna fan so i had to come out of lurking to vote.

the best short program ever.

Although, if Yuna had performed Giselle in WC 2011 like she did in this performance

I would have voted Giselle. Her interpretation alone in this Giselle performance is absolutely breathtaking. Like a ballerina on ice

Thanked by 2 Members:

#17 User is offline   poloska 

• Senior
  • Interests:Drawing, designing, figure skating and many others
  • {Real Name}:Asya

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:58 PM

View Postsurprised, on 02 December 2011 - 01:28 PM, said:

heh. i'm late to this :blush:

This is the performance that made me a Yuna fan so i had to come out of lurking to vote.

the best short program ever.

Although, if Yuna had performed Giselle in WC 2011 like she did in this performance

I would have voted Giselle. Her interpretation alone in this Giselle performance is absolutely breathtaking. Like a ballerina on ice

OMG, love Giselle :wub: My absolute favourite!!!

#18 User is offline   jatale 

• Junior
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:38 PM

View Postpoloska, on 02 December 2011 - 01:58 PM, said:

Indeed. if Yuna had performed Giselle with the passion and mastery she displayed in this EX (and with full technical content) at 2011 Worlds, she would have won the Gold medal easily (even with errors in the LP). The problem, as we now know, is that her heart just wasn't in it. (Same with 2010 Worlds)

I also love this Giselle program. If Yuna does return to competition maybe she'll retain Giselle as her SP. Time will tell...

#19 User is offline   surprised 

• Preliminary
  • PipPip

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:04 AM

View Postjatale, on 02 December 2011 - 04:38 PM, said:

Indeed. if Yuna had performed Giselle with the passion and mastery she displayed in this EX (and with full technical content) at 2011 Worlds, she would have won the Gold medal easily (even with errors in the LP). The problem, as we now know, is that her heart just wasn't in it. (Same with 2010 Worlds)

I also love this Giselle program. If Yuna does return to competition maybe she'll retain Giselle as her SP. Time will tell...

maybe it's just me. But i didn't much care she didn't win the Gold :lol: I didn't expect it frankly. After a long absence, silver was a great achievement already. I gotta admit though, i'm still at sea how the points system goes. No need to explain to me, thank you! I don't need the maths lesson :P

Her jump mistakes made me winced while i was watching. But after that, once she got into the whatever she does that hooks people in... (my bad, i'm not good with those FG terms)
I was totally mesmerized by the way she moved around the ice.

If i wanted to watch jumps, i can watch show jumping lol

Yuna, however, can make me watch figure skating even though i've never been much of a fan. The others, when they skated, could put me to comatose state. I don't mean to offend any other skaters fans, but i'm just telling it the way it is for me. I'm no FG fan, just purely watching it as long as Yuna performs

#20 User is offline   surprised 

• Preliminary
  • PipPip

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:13 AM

View Postpoloska, on 02 December 2011 - 01:58 PM, said:

Have you watched the other one?? The homage vid! That one was absolutely beautiful too. But the dang camera angles could do with some work. They missed some truly breathtaking moments while switching camera angles :wallbash:

I've been rewatching Danse Macabre & Giselle EX over & over again. I'm split between which i like more. Giselle, for now :P has the edge because i feel Yuna seems to have matured in her interpretation. There's more nuances now in her every movement

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users