• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2012 Summer Olympics

#61 User is offline   Empress of ice 

• Senior
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Figure skating, music,cinema...

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

I'll boycott this games...can't stand no more to see Korean athletes who paid their butt of to get gold medal robbed in every field! swimming, judo and now fencing!
what the heck is going on with referees?!!!
they get money before competitions or what?!

#62 User is offline   poloska 

• Senior
  • Interests:Drawing, designing, figure skating and many others
  • {Real Name}:Asya

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

View Postspiralintoawsomeness, on 30 July 2012 - 03:29 PM, said:

Aysa, who is the gymnast in your avatar?

Viktoria Komova :biggrin2:

Thanked by 1 Member:

#63 User is offline   jaylee 

• Senior

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:17 PM

View PostEmpress of ice, on 30 July 2012 - 04:06 PM, said:

I'll boycott this games...can't stand no more to see Korean athletes who paid their butt of to get gold medal robbed in every field! swimming, judo and now fencing!

The fencing controversy seems especially unfair. Very sad to see it end like that.
Yunapedia: Yu-Na news, facts, videos.

#64 User is offline   Nadia 

• Senior

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:24 PM

View Postalexander, on 30 July 2012 - 09:47 AM, said:

I would argue that shooting clay pigeons with a shotgun is more of a sport than shooting a bb gun. Actually, the USA is specifically NOT the master of winning in lesser known sports. As stated earlier, they will win 1/3 in swimming, 1/3 in track and field, and 1/3 in other sports. And why shouldn't they have their way in getting sports they are good at in the Olympics? US companies give the most money to the IOC, the US usually has the most athletes, and the US is the global trendsetter in athletics (with the exception of soccer/football). Not to mention, it is the biggest market.

And the overall winner of so called "sports" and obscure weight classes really goes to China. In 2008, they dominated in: ping-pong, badminton, diving, and small weight class weightlifting.

It is offensive that you consider disciplines Americans aren't good at or unpopular in America some kind of fake sports. Ping pong and badminton are VERY hard. And diving isn't easy either. (And when did it become fake?) Small weight class weightlifting...okay, so too many Americans weigh too much to be in the small weight class. So what? Does everyone in the world must weigh over 200 lbs to be considered a "real" weight lifter?

#65 User is offline   Nadia 

• Senior

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:33 PM

View Postjaylee, on 30 July 2012 - 08:17 PM, said:

The fencing controversy seems especially unfair. Very sad to see it end like that.

I'm really wondering what the heck is going on. 3 controversial & unfair calls, all against Korean athletes. It's almost like they forgot to pay off referees or something. I feel incredibly cynical and unhappy.

This post has been edited by Nadia: 30 July 2012 - 09:34 PM

#66 User is offline   alexander 

• Senior

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:29 PM

View PostNadia, on 30 July 2012 - 09:24 PM, said:

It is offensive that you consider disciplines Americans aren't good at or unpopular in America some kind of fake sports. Ping pong and badminton are VERY hard. And diving isn't easy either. (And when did it become fake?) Small weight class weightlifting...okay, so too many Americans weigh too much to be in the small weight class. So what? Does everyone in the world must weigh over 200 lbs to be considered a "real" weight lifter?

Sorry if I offended. I was just pointing out facts laced with heavily biased opinions.

IMO, ping-pong is a parlour game. Technically, it began as a parlour game 100 years ago. It is played at parties like pool, darts, and foosball. One culture's parlour game is another culture's athletics, I guess!

I long for the day when air hockey athletes will gain the same respect as ping pong world champions.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by alexander: 30 July 2012 - 10:53 PM

"I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind of a big deal. People know me." -Ron Burgundy

#67 User is offline   Nadia 

• Senior

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:31 PM

View Postalexander, on 30 July 2012 - 10:29 PM, said:

Sorry if I offended. I was just pointing out facts laced with heavily biased opinions.

IMO, ping-pong is a parlour game. Technically, it began as a parlour game 100 years ago. It is played at parties like pool, darts, and foosball. One culture's parlour game is another culture's athletics, I guess!

I long for the day when air hockey athletes will gain the same respect as ping pong world champions.

Posted Image

But what about badminton? How about small weight class weightlifting? Or diving, since you seem to hold contempt for them too?

#68 User is offline   poloska 

• Senior

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:39 AM

Nadia, just ignore him. You know China won Gymnastic men team event, gymnastic is a fake sport now! :laughing: And can you tell me more about fencing scandal, I haven't watched it.

#69 User is offline   poloska 

• Senior

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:47 AM

Omg I checked out incident in fencing, it's just :blink: I mean come one Europe, what are you doing? What South Korea did to you,really? This looks serious. Poor Shin :(

#70 User is offline   os168 

• Senior

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:33 AM

View PostEmpress of ice, on 30 July 2012 - 04:06 PM, said:

Yes appalling judging by the Austrian judge, then what happened afterwards were an utter farce by everyone involved except Shin and her coach. IOC and the fencing federation should look into this again carefully and do something about it, or certainly a big apology is in order.

View Postalexander, on 30 July 2012 - 10:29 PM, said:

Posted Image

Skating also began approx 100 years ago just after Ping pong, so what is your point?

Are you sure you are not acting like a sore looser? The last time I checked US has an team in this 'sport'. But maybe typically like the US, if they suck at it, there has got to be something wrong with everyone else like accusing a 16 years old about doping without any shred of evidence. Where I come from, that is arrogance and stupidity.

This post has been edited by os168: 31 July 2012 - 05:47 AM

Thanked by 3 Members:

#71 User is offline   Nadia 

• Senior

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:36 AM

View Postpoloska, on 31 July 2012 - 01:39 AM, said:

Nadia, just ignore him. You know China won Gymnastic men team event, gymnastic is a fake sport now! :laughing:

LOL. That's true. American men got smacked down hard lol.

BTW -- I still don't get the fencing thing. How can they just not run the clock until the other person scores? Is that even legal? What a disgrace. Ugh.

#72 User is offline   Nadia 

• Senior

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:01 AM

View Postos168, on 31 July 2012 - 05:33 AM, said:

Are you sure you are not acting like a sore looser? The last time I checked US has an team in this 'sport'. But maybe typically like the US, if they suck at it, there has got to be something wrong with everyone else like accusing a 16 years old about doping without any shred of evidence. Where I come from, that is arrogance and stupidity.

Oh yeah. Because a Chinese girl won in something that Americans deem a "real" sport....like swimming. How dare she swim faster than Lochte!

I thought it was UGLY how Americans' 1st reaction is that she must've doped. If she'd been an American swimmer, none of them would've said such things without any evidence. And I'm happy to see that non-American swimmers and coaches defended her (Ian Thorpe, Adrian Moorhouse, etc.)

This post has been edited by Nadia: 31 July 2012 - 07:04 AM

Thanked by 3 Members:

#73 User is offline   nwhrmn42 

• Juvenile
  • PipPipPipPip
  • {Real Name}:Mike

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

Obviously, everyone has their favorite sports and their own definition of what is considered a real sport. And nothing wrong with expressing that opinion. But please don't forget the goal of the Olympics -- to celebrate athletic achievement and help bring the world together. I know it's difficult with all the politics involved, but I try. And because it is still run by humans, there always has been and always will be controversy. We can only hope that those in charge will try to make the games as appealing and as fair as possible for everyone.

And a side note to express an opinion - not a fencing fan but I saw that incident. Wow, how can that happen. Really seems unfair.

This post has been edited by nwhrmn42: 31 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

#74 User is offline   Hoshi 

• Senior
  • {Real Name}:M. Wilson

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:04 PM

Anyone catching up Gymnastics women's team final? I'm just shocked at Komova's uncanny mistakes! But at least Afan and Mustafina are rocking it!
Posted Image

#75 User is offline   Hoshi 

• Senior

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

Mustafina's crying :(
Posted Image

#76 User is offline   Hoshi 

• Senior

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:07 PM

Whoa rows of mistakes, big mistakes coming from Russia. Such a shame that they couldn't bring up their best!
Posted Image

#77 User is offline   Hoshi 

• Senior

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

WOW all the US girls are on fire! Gabby, Jordy, and Raisman all nailed their floor routines!!!! Gold for USA with ease!
Posted Image

#78 User is offline   poloska 

• Senior

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

Our girls are so depressed, I know they wanted the gold, but mistakes are mistakes. Girls, please don't cry :( Silver is also good! Congrats to all medallists!

#79 User is offline   Hoshi 

• Senior

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

View Postpoloska, on 31 July 2012 - 12:33 PM, said:

Our girls are so depressed, I know they wanted the gold, but mistakes are mistakes. Girls, please don't cry :( Silver is also good! Congrats to all medallists!

((((girls)))) Yes, silver is also great result! Except for their performances on Floor, they were all exquisite!
Posted Image

#80 User is offline   spiralintoawsomeness 

• Senior
  • Interests:Ballet, Modern Dance, Imitating People :), Reading
  • {Real Name}:Leya

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:20 PM

View PostHoshi, on 31 July 2012 - 12:21 PM, said:

WOW all the US girls are on fire! Gabby, Jordy, and Raisman all nailed their floor routines!!!! Gold for USA with ease!

YAY!!!!

Final Result:

:United_States: :Russia: Romania :China: :Canada: :United_Kingdom: :Italy: :Japan:

This post has been edited by spiralintoawsomeness: 31 July 2012 - 02:27 PM

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users