Yu-Na Kim Forum: While we at it, can we also petition ISU to get rid of Worlds after the Olympics? - Yu-Na Kim Forum

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

While we at it, can we also petition ISU to get rid of Worlds after the Olympics? Stemming from Patrick Chan's comments on obligations...

#1 User is offline   ComplimentsFromAbove 

• Juvenile
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

Stemming from Patrick Chan's comments on obligations to compete in the World Team thingy:

While we at it, can we also petition ISU to get rid of the World Championships that is held so closely after the Olympics? I think it's dumb, and obviously cheapens that year's Worlds immensely.

This post has been edited by ComplimentsFromAbove: 22 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

Thanked by 1 Member:

#2 User is offline   San_Fran 

• Senior
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:47 PM

I support this. It's like an exhibition game after winning a World Cup. Even before Yuna, I had always looked at World medalists following Olympics as less significant accomplishments and medalists winning Worlds leading into Olympics as winners in the most challenging World Championships. I say this because of the number of highly ranked skaters that do not participate in Worlds following Olympics and the higher stakes in Worlds preceding the Olympics. Yuna's two World Championships at the prior Olympic Worlds speaks to the margin of her talent compared to her biggest rivals.

This post has been edited by San_Fran: 17 May 2013 - 05:32 PM

#3 User is offline   Hikari Kame 

• Juvenile
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

It's money making and publicity, so they probably won't. The thing is, to skaters the medals aren't as important as the experience of going out there at another international event and skating, so I would rather keep it.

#4 User is offline   San_Fran 

• Senior
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:28 AM

View PostHikari Kame, on 22 January 2014 - 05:21 PM, said:

It's money making and publicity, so they probably won't. The thing is, to skaters the medals aren't as important as the experience of going out there at another international event and skating, so I would rather keep it.

True but unfortunately, it gives some skaters a World Medal, sometimes a gold metal, that they would never be able to achieve if the strongest competitors were there. To me it is like "B" World Championships. A significant accomplishment yes, but not the same as the other 3 years.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users