Yuna Sustains Foot Injury

#41 User is offline   San_Fran 

• Senior
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:42 AM

View PostRealdeal, on 26 September 2013 - 06:15 AM, said:

News keep coming in:

On a bright side, it's not a serious injury and her foot is not on a cast. The bone has sustained minor bruise, so to speak. She should be fully recovered by the Olympics but it's inevitable she has to make a difficult adjustment to her roadmap to Sochi in regards to training, physical conditioning, tuning the programs, etc.

EDIT: 6 weeks of intensive rehabilitation is based on the most pessimistic projection; she could be healed as soon as in 3-4 weeks. A cause of the injury, according to the sources, is from fatigue. No injuries to any ligaments or joints which could have been very serious.

EDIT 2: It will take least 6 weeks to prevent any possibilities of relapse and return to her top body form.

As I understand it the metatarsal are the 5 long bones leading out to the toes. Do we know which of the five or are they all fatigued?

#42 User is offline   San_Fran 

• Senior

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

Also, it is her landing foot on jumps right?

#43 User is offline   Ghita 

• Novice
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

View PostSan_Fran, on 26 September 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

Yes, it is :wallbash:

#44 User is offline   San_Fran 

• Senior

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:19 PM

View PostGhita, on 26 September 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

Yes, it is :wallbash:

Yuna, please find some soft figure skating quality ice to practice on.

#45 User is offline   DCSkate 

• Juvenile
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:35 PM

Get well soon, Yuna.

#46 User is offline   keyman65 

• Preliminary
  • PipPip

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

This type of injury happens frequently to runners, dancers, gymnasts, figure skaters, etc. It is not a big deal in itself. Usually, a light bone bruise (from long walking, aerobic exercise, rigorous hiking, etc.) takes 1 to 2 weeks to heal. Yunaís appears to be more severe and could easily have deteriorated into a stress fracture/hairline fracture which may need 6 to 12 weeks to heal. In that sense, she got lucky.

A month without jump practice is significant. But, a super athlete like Yuna should be able to get back to the form prior to the injury in a month or so -- could have been longer for a hairline fracture -- and skate at NRW or Zagreb in December.

Didnít she say that she felt extremely uneasy to skate competitively in front of her fans in South Korea? In that sense, Korean Nationals can be a great release psychologically for her as it seemed to have been last season. I certainly hope she does Nationals this season if skipping the GP events altogether, and Korean Nationals may be better psychologically for Sochi than any GP event anyway. So, I donít think the injury should affect her preparation for Sochi in any significant way.

Thanked by 7 Members:

#47 User is offline   keyman65 

• Preliminary
  • PipPip

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:10 PM

If there are any athletes or dancers here, any form of metatarsalgia persists longer than three days requires prompt medical attention as there is a possibility for hairline fracture. Donít try to walk it off/sleep it off.

X-ray often doesnít pick up hairline fractures such that you still may want to rest the foot for a week even if X-ray comes out negative. If the pain is still there after the rest, then you should suspect a hairline fracture and take action accordingly.

#48 User is offline   NewYunaFan 

• Senior

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

View PostSan_Fran, on 26 September 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

It is also the foot for toe picking on the Lutz and Flip, so it takes the most beating in training.

#49 User is offline   inspiration 

• Senior

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

View Postkeyman65, on 26 September 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

This type of injury happens frequently to runners, dancers, gymnasts, figure skaters, etc. It is not a big deal in itself. Usually, a light bone bruise (from long walking, aerobic exercise, rigorous hiking, etc.) takes 1 to 2 weeks to heal. Yunaís appears to be more severe and could easily have deteriorated into a stress fracture/hairline fracture which may need 6 to 12 weeks to heal. In that sense, she got lucky.

A month without jump practice is significant. But, a super athlete like Yuna should be able to get back to the form prior to the injury in a month or so -- could have been longer for a hairline fracture -- and skate at NRW or Zagreb in December.

Didnít she say that she felt extremely uneasy to skate competitively in front of her fans in South Korea? In that sense, Korean Nationals can be a great release psychologically for her as it seemed to have been last season. I certainly hope she does Nationals this season if skipping the GP events altogether, and Korean Nationals may be better psychologically for Sochi than any GP event anyway. So, I donít think the injury should affect her preparation for Sochi in any significant way.

I don't mean to predict anything yet, but based on what I've heard so far, what keyman65 said seems to resonate with me. In that case, YuNa's way to Sochi would be very similar to the route she took for her comeback season; relatively late start, skipping GP, etc. Good thing she already went through that and wouldn't have to face much pressure of regaining her prime status during this Olympic season. As many have suspected, I think she was just working on overdrive. Just like what she did back in 09 TEB, she as a perfectionist would've envisioned masterfully debuting her new programs right from the beginning. Speed recovery Yuna. Hope this turns out a blessing in disguise.

Thanked by 3 Members:

#50 User is offline   jaylee 

• Senior

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

View Postinspiration, on 26 September 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

I don't mean to predict anything yet, but based on what I've heard so far, what keyman65 said seems to resonate with me. In that case, YuNa's way to Sochi would be very similar to the route she took for her comeback season; relatively late start, skipping GP, etc. Good thing she already went through that and wouldn't have to face much pressure of regaining her prime status during this Olympic season. As many have suspected, I think she was just working on overdrive. Just like what she did back in 09 TEB, she as a perfectionist would've envisioned masterfully debuting her new programs right from the beginning. Speed recovery Yuna. Hope this turns out a blessing in disguise.

Yes, thanks for the insight keyman65.

Inspiration, I bolded part of your post above. That's the thing about the Grand Prix, particularly in an Olympic year--the favorites endure EXTRA scrutiny and pressure and are expected to deliver right from the beginning. That's why Yu-Na knew it was important to debut her programs well in 2009 TEB. It's better not to go to the GP than have a poor outing (such as Michelle Kwan in 2001-2002).

Many top skaters have gotten around this by usually withdrawing from one GP and going to just one--see Plushenko, or Sasha Cohen in 2005-2006. That way they avoided both one GP and the GPF.

This time, since it's Yu-Na's second Olympics, the GP is not as important, and as others have said, the only important thing is that Yu-Na recover on her own timeline.
Yunapedia: Yu-Na news, facts, videos.

Thanked by 3 Members:

#51 User is offline   poloska 

• Senior
  • Interests:Drawing, designing, figure skating and many others
  • {Real Name}:Asya

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:39 PM

I was so afraid to hear this someday((( But good to hear it's not that serious.I hope Yuna will not overwork in future and take it easy. The main thing is her health and only after that competitions ,medals and such.
Posted Image

Thanked by 3 Members:

#52 User is offline   jatale 

• Junior
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:32 PM

This is not good news. Shades of 2011 when Yuna did not compete prior to Worlds, and then came in second. I think it is very important that she get at least one competition (preferably two) in before Sochi, like she did leading up to this year's WC. But Yuna is one determined young lady, so I'll remain hopeful for her success at the Olympics.

This post has been edited by jatale: 26 September 2013 - 04:34 PM

#53 User is offline   os168 

• Senior

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:00 PM

OMG!! :o

I nearly had a heart attack when I saw this thread title! Oh Yuna! :o Thank goodness it doesn't appear to be too serious and is entirely treatable.

Unfortunately injuries has always been Yuna's Kryptonite. It bugs her through out her entire career more than any competitors or competitions. I am sure the team have learnt to deal with it sensibly and carefully to ensure she makes 100% recovery for the sake of her overall well being beyond competitions. It is something unfortunately plagues skaters in a sport as demanding like Figure skating, especially considering it is among the biggest risks of training in Korea in less than ideal ice conditions.

I have always been conscious of the fact that despite Yuna's steely resolve, there's always something fragile and delicate about her physical state, that is powerful yet vulnerable at the same time, which only makes her spectacular performances going for full attack mode completely mini miracles to behold. I can't possibly imagine what risks and the amount of training/practice it'd take her to go out and do what she does at the biggest events at the most pressurized sport in the world.

....So this is another dramatic surprising turn in the career of an incredibly special skater we know simply as Yuna. Can her 2nd Olympic bid be anymore dramatic than missing out the GP all together?! Dear me!! What's more drama are in store for us this Olympic season? How will the rest of the ladies cope I wonder?! :popcorn:

Yuna, we will sorely miss you (Soo VERY MUCH... you have no idea!!), but please take care of yourself the most. Everything and everyone will just have to wait.

Thanked by 10 Members:

#54 User is offline   spacefruit 

• Intermediate
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:30 PM

I knew this was coming. The horrid training conditions in Korea have not changed a bit since Yuna's debut and it's infuriating. In a sad, twisted way, it would probably make more of a positive impact on Korean figure skating if Yuna didn't win her 2nd Olympic gold or even attended Sochi due to injury. Yuna SHOULD be a 2 time Olympic champion, because she is the best in the world and there's no logical reason why she shouldn't, but maybe her homecountry needs a wakeup call. Maybe Yuna being the Queen makes it pointless for the KSU and government to put any effort in. Up to this point their biggest "disappointment" was Silver at Worlds... the rest was gold after gold, world record after world record, and an unprecedented comeback. Maybe it's time Korea learns their complacency has a price. But hopefully it won't come to that. Yuna deserves to see all her hard work pay off.

Thanked by 2 Members:

#55 User is offline   NewYunaFan 

• Senior

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:38 PM

View Postos168, on 26 September 2013 - 06:00 PM, said:

OMG!! :o

I nearly had a heart attack when I saw this thread title! Oh Yuna! :o Thank goodness it doesn't appear to be too serious and is entirely treatable.

Unfortunately injuries has always been Yuna's Kryptonite. It bugs her through out her entire career more than any competitors or competitions. I am sure the team have learnt to deal with it sensibly and carefully to ensure she makes 100% recovery for the sake of her overall well being beyond competitions. It is something unfortunately plagues skaters in a sport as demanding like Figure skating, especially considering it is among the biggest risks of training in Korea in less than ideal ice conditions.

I have always been conscious of the fact that despite Yuna's steeling resolve, there's always something fragile and delicate about her physical state, that is powerful yet vulnerable at the same time, which only makes her spectacular performances going for full attack mode completely mini miracles to behold. I can't possibly imagine what risks and the amount of training/practice it'd take her to go out and do what she does at the biggest events at the most pressurized sport in the world.

....So this is another dramatic surprising turn in the career of an incredibly special skater we know simply as Yuna. Can her 2nd Olympic bid be anymore dramatic than missing out the GP all together?! Dear me!! What's more drama are in store for us this Olympic season? How will the rest of the ladies cope I wonder?! :popcorn:

Yuna, we will sorely miss you (Soo VERY MUCH... you have no idea!!), but please take care of yourself the most. Everything and everyone will just have to wait.

This is definitely adding some drama and suspense to the season. We thought we knew what was coming, she would do the grand Prix and then Sochi. But now all that is up in the air--possibly even Sochi itself if her injury returns or she gets injured some other way.

I really hope for her sake and ours she heals fully and doesn't hurt herself again when she resumes training.

This post has been edited by NewYunaFan: 26 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

#56 User is offline   spacefruit 

• Intermediate
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:48 PM

I have faith Yuna will recover in time for Sochi. I think the biggest downside to this is Yuna will probably simplify Adios Nomino Choreography to avoid further injury, considering it's the most challenging program she's ever done. So, we'll probably never get to her greatest masterpiece in all it's glory...

#57 User is offline   NewYunaFan 

• Senior

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:17 PM

View Postspacefruit, on 26 September 2013 - 06:48 PM, said:

I have faith Yuna will recover in time for Sochi. I think the biggest downside to this is Yuna will probably simplify Adios Nomino Choreography to avoid further injury, considering it's the most challenging program she's ever done. So, we'll probably never get to her greatest masterpiece in all it's glory...

Given the nature of the injury, it seems more jumps-related than anything, so I'm not so sure this necessarily means "simpler" choreo.

Thanked by 1 Member:

#58 User is offline   Empress of ice 

• Senior
  • Interests:Figure skating, music,cinema...

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:21 PM

T__________________T bought my tickets for TEB event where she was supposed to attend Im sad not to seeing her perform on it!
hope she'll recover soon!
how sad, annoyed & pressured she must feel now!

Thanked by 1 Member:
cactus 

#59 User is offline   jaylee 

• Senior

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:05 PM

View PostNewYunaFan, on 26 September 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

Given the nature of the injury, it seems more jumps-related than anything, so I'm not so sure this necessarily means "simpler" choreo.

I agree. I think it's premature to guess at what kind of adjustments they'd make to her programs because of the injury. She has to recover first...if she recovers completely, then it shouldn't be a problem. And there's enough time for a complete recovery and for her to train and improve her condition through the Olympics. Plenty of time.

View PostEmpress of ice, on 26 September 2013 - 08:21 PM, said:

T__________________T bought my tickets for TEB event where she was supposed to attend Im sad not to seeing her perform on it!
hope she'll recover soon!
how sad, annoyed & pressured she must feel now!

Sorry about that, Empress of ice!
Yunapedia: Yu-Na news, facts, videos.

#60 User is offline   SquallB 

• Senior

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:17 PM

I am devastated.
"If this was track and field, we just watched an 8-second 100 meters." Jamie McGrigor, a skating analyst commenting on Yuna's LP performance at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics

"How do you make a Kim Yu-Na... you can't. It's truly a gift." Scott Hamilton, gold medalist and NBC commentator

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users