Yu-Na Kim Forum: Yuna's supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Epic News thread 2013-2014 Olympic season - Yu-Na Kim Forum

• 29 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Yuna's supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Epic News thread 2013-2014 Olympic season A spoonful of Yuna makes the heart go pound, heart go swirl around...

#1 User is offline   os168 

• Senior
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:17 AM

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

The root of the word came from Disney's movie Mary Poppins and have been defined as follows: super- "above", cali- "beauty", fragilistic- "delicate", expiali- "to atone", and docious- "educable", with the sum of these parts signifying roughly "Atoning for educability through delicate beauty."

Epic word, full of intricacies, complexities, challenges and play, fitting for Yuna's Olympic season?

Thanked by 5 Members:

#2 User is offline   Realdeal 

• Senior

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:21 PM

View Postrock robster, on 12 November 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

Finally, some real, and GOOD, news! :biggrin2:

Try as I might to cultivate virtue, I've come to the conclusion that patience is not my thing. When are we going to get a glimpse of Yuna's programs, for godsakes? I'm not sure I can wait for another month. If I don't see something in the next week or two, I may have to disavow skating altogether as too much for my nerves. :sweatingbullets:

Just keep watching those boring and anemic GP series till December. :laughing: Or you could get a month long vacation and travel Croatia until Dec. 5. You can chill and contemplate at the historical towns on the Adriatic Sea like Split and Dubrovnik, which are famous destinations for tourists, and then travel back to Zagreb for Golden Spin. :biggrin2:

For your travel information:
http://www.lonelypla...-articles/68491

This post has been edited by Realdeal: 13 November 2013 - 12:24 PM

Thanked by 1 Member:

#3 User is offline   inspiration 

• Senior

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:27 PM

View PostRealdeal, on 13 November 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

Just keep watching those boring and anemic GP series till December. :laughing: Or you could get a month long vacation and travel Croatia until Dec. 5. You can chill and contemplate at the historical towns on the Adriatic Sea like Split and Dubrovnik, which are famous destinations for tourists, and then travel back to Zagreb for Golden Spin. :biggrin2:

oh come on, rock robster. We waited for how long..like a year and a half until YuNa jumped off the fence with her comeback. Didn't we all say that everything from there would be just big bonuses? :P I know..I myslf am dying to see her new programs, but on the flip side, this waiting makes me gather my thoughts and appreciate what she has done and will do a little more.

Thanked by 1 Member:

#4 User is offline   spiralintoawsomeness 

• Senior
  • Interests:Ballet, Modern Dance, Imitating People :), Reading
  • {Real Name}:Leya

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:18 PM

:rofl2: Love the title, os168!
Posted Image

Thanked by 1 Member:
os168 

#5 User is offline   Moogoonghwa 

• Senior

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:04 PM

Since I love Mary Poppins and Yuna is my favorite skater.. LOVE the title!
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   cactus 

• Senior

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:51 AM

View PostRealdeal, on 13 November 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

What's going on?! Smb's going to Zagreb to see Yu-Na's New Programmes? It's a Plot in YNKF! :o

#7 User is offline   Realdeal 

• Senior

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:02 AM

View Postcactus, on 14 November 2013 - 05:51 AM, said:

What's going on?! Smb's going to Zagreb to see Yu-Na's New Programmes? It's a Plot in YNKF! :o

Nothing. It's just a dreamy suggestion for those who have trouble waiting. :biggrin2:

#8 User is offline   os168 

• Senior

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:21 AM

So is anyone going to Golden Spin? I wonder how many countries Yuna has been already, Hmm... may be should have been factoids on Yunapedia. :blush:

#9 User is offline   inspiration 

• Senior

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:12 AM

YuNa among the top 10 most popular Asian athletes. Nos. 1-7 are all athletes of professional sports. YuNa may be able to move up the ladder after the Olympics.

Top Ten Most Popular Asian Athletes
By Samuel Chi

http://thediplomat.c...asian-athletes/

Sachin Tendulkar is perhaps the greatest player in the history of his sport. Though standing at only a diminutive 5-foot-5, Tendulkar is a master batsman and shattered nearly every important record in the cricket record books.

Beginning Thursday, the 40-year-old Tendulkar will play in his 200th and final international test match. He will retire as the first (and only) player to score 100 international centuries, the first player to score a double century in a one-day international, and to-date the only one to complete 34,000 runs in international cricket.

Tendulkar is basically Babe Ruth, Jack Nicklaus and Wayne Gretzky all rolled into one.

But outside of Asia and the cricket fandom, many probably have never heard of the Indian great. Cricket is not typically noticed outside of British Commonwealth countries, and Asian athletes generally receive less attention than their North American and European counterparts.

That’s not to say there aren’t wildly popular Asian athletes – in their home countries and beyond. Taking only currently active players and from sports with a large following in Asia (that’s why American football isn’t included, see previous post), we have come up with the Top 10 Most Popular Asian Athletes:

1. Manny Pacquiao (boxing, Philippines) – At age 34, the Pacman is on the downward arc of his career, and it’s much lamented that the hoped-for super fight against Floyd Mayweather never came to pass. Still, Pacquiao remains a global icon and beloved in his native Philippines. His upcoming Nov. 23 fight against Brandon Rios in Macau may still be a game-changer for the sport in Asia.

2. Jeremy Lin (basketball, Taiwan) – The only non-Asia born athlete on this list, Lin is nevertheless a superstar in Asia, more so than he is in America. With parents who immigrated from Taiwan and ancestral ties to China, his popularity was confirmed in recent trips to Asia. After Yao Ming’s retirement, the Harvard-educated Houston Rockets guard is indisputably the NBA’s new ambassador across the Pacific.

3. Ichiro Suzuki (baseball, Japan) – Though he’s not the first, nor the most recent Japanese import to Major League Baseball, Ichiro’s popularity has proved to be the most enduring. A 10-time MLB All-Star, MVP and rookie of the year, Suzuki at the age of 40 is in the twilight of his career with the New York Yankees, but his next stop without question is the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown.

4. Li Na (tennis, China) – Asia’s first, and so far, only, grand slam winner when she won the French Open in 2011, Li continues to be the continent’s most high profile tennis player – male or female. Currently ranked No. 3 in the world, Li hopes to claim another major title at next January’s Australian Open, where she was the runner-up in two of the last three tournaments.

5. Park Ji-Sung (soccer, South Korea) – The South Korean team captain until his retirement from international competition, Park is the most decorated Asian soccer player in history and the first Asian to have won the UEFA Champions League trophy. Playing for the world-renowned Manchester United from 2005-12, the tireless midfielder scored 19 goals in 134 appearances. At age 32, he’s now winding down his career at PSV Eindhoven in the Netherlands.

6. Sachin Tendulkar (cricket, India) – The Mumbai native of course is beyond wildly popular in India, where his fans often claim “cricket is my religion and Sachin is my God,” but he’s adored and respected worldwide, including in the cricket hotbed of Australia. He holds nearly 100 of the sport’s records and is considered something of a national treasure on the Subcontinent. After retirement, he’s expected by some to enter politics.

7. Yani Tseng (golf, Taiwan) – Until her recent slump, Tseng was the best female golfer in the world, after becoming the youngest player – male or female – to win five major titles. She was the top-ranked player in the LPGA for 109 consecutive weeks from 2011-13. A swing change has halted her championship momentum, so at the ripe young age of 24 she now will have to rediscover her form to contend with current World No. 1 Inbee Park of South Korea.

8. Sun Yang (swimming, China) – Sun burst onto the scene with a double-gold performance in the 2012 London Olympics, becoming the first Chinese male swimmer to win the gold medal when he nabbed it in both the 400-meter and 1,500-meter races, shattering the record in the latter in the process. He’s replaced hurdler Liu Xiang as China’s most popular Olympic athlete, though he was recently jailed for driving a relative’s Porsche without a license.

9. Kim Yuna (figure skating, South Korea) – Kim became a national heroine in South Korea when she won the figure skating gold medal in the 2010 Vancouver Winter Games, the first female Korean skater to win an Olympic gold. Her popularity exploded thanks to her combination of elegance and beauty. Though she’s been plagued by a foot injury recently, Kim is expected to defend her title at the Sochi Games in February.

10. Kohei Uchimura (gymnastics, Japan) – A five-time Olympic medalist and the gold medal winner in the all-around at the London Games, Uchimura is considered by many in the sport to be the best male gymnast of all time. He’s won four consecutive world titles in the all-around (2009-2013) and is expected to continue his reign through the 2016 Summer Games in Rio.

Samuel Chi is the Editor of RealClearSports and RealClearWorld. His column on world sport appears every Thursday in The Diplomat.

Posted Image

Thanked by 9 Members:

#10 User is offline   inspiration 

• Senior

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

More on YuNa's latest philanthropic contribution--

http://www.globalpos...ef-efforts-phil

Yonhap News AgencyNovember 14, 2013 02:02
Figure skater Kim Yu-na donates US$100,000 to relief efforts in Philippines

SEOUL, Nov. 14 (Yonhap) -- Figure skater Kim Yu-na has donated US$100,000 to help typhoon relief efforts in the Philippines, officials here said Thursday.

The Korean Committee for UNICEF, a U.N. organization providing aid to children in developing countries, said in a press release that Kim made the donation on Wednesday. Kim has been an international goodwill ambassador for UNICEF since 2010.

"Through the Korean Committee for UNICEF, Kim has made donations to help underprivileged and sick children at the end of each year, and this year, she informed us that she wanted to help children affected by the strong typhoon in the Philippines," the statement said. "Her donation will be used to supply drinking water and also to provide education for these children."

The deadly Typhoon Haiyan ripped through the Philippines last week, claiming more than 2,000 lives, with thousands of others injured or missing.

South Korea has pledged $5 million in aid, along with a team of 40 rescue and medical workers to provide relief efforts in the Southeast Asian country.

Kim was named an international ambassador for UNICEF in July 2010, but six months earlier, she'd already donated 100 million won ($93,700) to UNICEF to aid earthquake victims in Haiti. In May 2011, she donated her winnings from her second-place finish at the 2011 world championships to help children in the earthquake-ravaged Japan.

The world championships that year had been scheduled to take place in Tokyo, but the major quake and tsunami in the region forced the event to Moscow.

According to the Korean Committee for UNICEF, Kim has been making annual donations to needy South Korean children since 2010.

<All rights reserved by Yonhap News Agency>

#11 User is offline   prettykeys 

• Senior
  • Interests:Figure Skating

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:22 PM

^ The images I have seen over the news these past few days are devastating and heart-rending. Not that we needed any more reasons to love her, butI am glad to be a fan of someone who is so caring.

#12 User is offline   inspiration 

• Senior

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:58 PM

presented to rock robster et al. by SassyBondgirl9 (DC Inside). :bye:

This post has been edited by inspiration: 15 November 2013 - 10:11 PM

Thanked by 5 Members:

#13 User is offline   rock robster 

• Senior
  • Group: Platinum Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:40 PM

View Postinspiration, on 15 November 2013 - 09:58 PM, said:

Thanks so much for that, inspiration! I loved that :swoon1:.

Someone spent a lot of time with the editing, because the consonance of the music and the movements was so organic as to seem...well, seamless. It was pulsing with energy, each added, luminous snippet seemed to inject yet another few ergs that propelled the video forward.

Is SassyBondgirl9 the maker of the video? I hope she is a member here, or at least lurks, because I would like to let her know how much I enoyed it. :lol:

#14 User is offline   SquallB 

• Senior

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:03 AM

wow, great promo video!!! :respec1:
"If this was track and field, we just watched an 8-second 100 meters." Jamie McGrigor, a skating analyst commenting on Yuna's LP performance at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics

"How do you make a Kim Yu-Na... you can't. It's truly a gift." Scott Hamilton, gold medalist and NBC commentator

#15 User is offline   os168 

• Senior

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:48 AM

Whaa. ..that video is sooooo good!!! ♡♡♡

KUDOS Sassybondgirl9!! She did it again! Produced my favourite NRW trophy fan montage last year too and an amazing bond girl tribute video.

About Yuna's latest (and on going charitable efforts) to highlight plights of the world and at that part people are desperately in need of help and support right now, particularly the children. She has a heart of gold and beyond impressive as a role model and responsible citizen of the world. Always good to see how she use her fame and her means beyond this sport and beyond the boarders since there are always those in need, and the work is never ends.

#16 User is offline   spiccoli 

• Senior
  • {Real Name}:Zaldine

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:36 AM

^ :respec1: @ Yuna's donation. Watching some footages on CNN is just heartbreaking. She never fail to impress me. On and Off the ice. :respec1:

C/O Feversmedia

Kim Yuna resumes training, 100% recovered

[Ilgan Sports] | Kim Ji-Han | 2013.11.13

‘Figure Queen’ Kim Yuna has finally recovered from her injuries.

Kim will be able to resume her training in earnest for the upcoming Sochi Olympics.

Kim recovered from her metatarsal micro fracture injury of her right foot on last week.

“Kim is 99.9% recovered. The pain hasn’t vanished completely because she continues to train but it is minor enough to be ignored.

I watched Kim practicing her short and free program last week and she had no problem doing both in a single training session.

She can do all her jumps and all her elements,” said Na Young-Mu, Kim’s physician and head of Sol hospital, giving Kim the green light.

Kim suffered from a micro-fracture in her right foot in September.

Since then she has been going through physiotherapy while training and has now fully recovered.

“Kim doesn’t have any other injuries on her back or ankle.

I recommended that Kim take cautions not to sprain her ankle and to refrain from wearing high heels.

I also recommended that she be cautious during her off-ice training sessions because it is different from training on the ice,” said Dr. Na.

The green light from her physician will make it possible for Kim to concentrate on preparing for the Golden Spin of Zagreb which will be held in Zagreb,

Croatia on December 5 – 9. Kim is currently training with caution in order to prevent the injury from reoccurring.

“Kim’s condition is good. She has physically recovered, but she adjusts her training depending on her daily condition to be safe.

Since she has fully recovered we are increasing the intensity of training bit by bit, resuming some that she has not been able to do during her recovery,” said a representative of All That Sports, Kim’s management.

In order to familiarize herself to her new programs, Kim continued to train during her rehabilitation but not to the extent that the training would aggravate her injury.

She especially focused on becoming familiar with her free skating program "Adios Nonino".

“I need a lot of stamina for the free skate because of the fast tempo of the music.

Even though I have familiarized myself with the program since the program was finished quite a while ago,

I presume that more time will be needed to perfect my performance,“ said Kim at the ‘Sochi Winter Olympic Games D-100 Media Day’ on October 30.

Kim is planning to hone her technical elements and choreography at the Golden Spin in preparation for the Sochi Olympic Games.

http://www.feverskat...fevers/64029915

This post has been edited by spiccoli: 16 November 2013 - 06:37 AM

Posted Image

Thanked by 6 Members:

#17 User is offline   jaylee 

• Senior

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:53 AM

View Postinspiration, on 14 November 2013 - 01:24 PM, said:

More on YuNa's latest philanthropic contribution--

http://www.globalpos...ef-efforts-phil

Yonhap News AgencyNovember 14, 2013 02:02
Figure skater Kim Yu-na donates US$100,000 to relief efforts in Philippines

You know, even though I'm well aware that Yu-Na donates to so many causes, news of a new donation always wonderfully surprises me. She is such an inspiration.

There surely are few more worthy causes at this time than Philippines relief.

View Postinspiration, on 15 November 2013 - 09:58 PM, said:

How lovely! I enjoyed that very much. Thanks for sharing, inspiration, and thank you SassyBondgirl9!

View Postrock robster, on 15 November 2013 - 10:40 PM, said:

Is SassyBondgirl9 the maker of the video? I hope she is a member here, or at least lurks, because I would like to let her know how much I enoyed it. :lol:

I believe she is a lurking member here... ;)
Yunapedia: Yu-Na news, facts, videos.

Thanked by 3 Members:

#18 User is offline   jaylee 

• Senior

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:53 PM

In the latest issue of IFS Magazine, the editor's note mentions that Yu-Na is out of the Grand Prix with an injury. Also, it features the YunaTube app and the fact that it is available on iOS now in addition to the Android! It has a nice little review and a picture of Yu-Na ("All of Me") and everything. :biggrin2:
Yunapedia: Yu-Na news, facts, videos.

Thanked by 3 Members:
rnrdj1 , Nadia , cactus 

#19 User is offline   cactus 

• Senior

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:54 AM

10 worldwide medal hopefuls for Sochi 2014: Yuna Kim
BBC Sport Winter Olympics
Sorry if it's already been posted.

This post has been edited by cactus: 19 November 2013 - 02:56 AM

#20 User is offline   inspiration 

• Senior

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:48 PM

Romanson has introduced a new line of YuNa-themed watches. You can see YuNa's signature and spin engraved in the back (the left one).

Posted Image

Thanked by 5 Members:
kaka , rnrdj1 , cactus , lakewood , anwin 

Share this topic:

• 29 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users