Fancams

Thanked by 4 Members:

#2 User is offline   os168 

• Senior
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:16 PM

No comments yet on this program?

For me this is Yuna doing lyrical the sort of classic ladies program we came to expect, lyrical, soft, sweet, emotional, feminine. The contrast between this and the Danse Macabre or her old Short Program El Tango De Roxanne couldn't be more extreme.

There's also an quiet innocence appeal of this compare with her FS program Adios. Together they make quite a pair of contrasting programs for this Olympic season.

#3 User is offline   ToFarAwayTimes 

• Novice
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • {Real Name}:Mark

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:08 PM

It was magnificent. I think Yuna can feel the music a bit more, give a little better performance (after all, it was ONLY season debut) but I'm really happy with this selection by Yuna and David.

#4 User is offline   chai 

• Intermediate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • {Real Name}:tea

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:09 AM

exquisite program. the music tugs at the heart and so does her skating. the choreography after her opening combo is so, so lovely. and the way that the first spin is matched perfectly to the music, ughhhh SO good. i also love the bit in the gif where she skates with her hands clasped behind her back, so charmingly nostalgic.

i love the drama of danse/roxanne/bond/scheherezade but i also loveeee when she skates to lyrical music and so i'm ecstatic with? about? this program. her skating in lark ascending was flight and delicate grace. in the on my own segment to les mis, her skating embodied a melancholy longing that crescendoed into angsty passion. to me, send in the clowns is a program redolent with bittersweet sorrow. one can't help but think about her long, hard skating career with all its ups and downs, the joys and the countless sacrifices. such a beautiful program.

(still not sold on the dress but whatever, WHAT a program. i did like how it sort of matched the seats of the rink hehe.)

#5 User is offline   Nadia 

• Senior

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:04 PM

i didn't like the dress at first, but it's not too bad now (I've seen it too many times)

I can't decide on the sleeves. But like Yuna said what matters is how she performs, not what she's wearing.

#6 User is offline   lescinqdoigts 

• Pre-Juvenile
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:46 AM

Whenever Yu na lands her jumps I'm always reminded of flowers falling in the wind- the flutter of her skirt, the lightness, the height... and I love that this program accentuates these qualities. There is such lushness in both her skating and the music here.
This program fits her like a well tailored dress- it does a great job of showcasing all her strengths (her gorgeous jumps, lyricism, skating skills-) and hides the minor flaws she has. The musical arrangement is not the most sophisticated, but I think it's a good choice given that the mood is melancholy and wistful.
If I must nitpick, this is one of the few programs I would've wished for a longer spiral sequence- her spirals have improved a lot and this program would've been a perfect vehicle for it- and there are little bits in the step sequence that could use something softer, but I'm really picking hairs now.
the bit in which she clasps her hand behind her back and flails her arms backward in turn are lovely. I like how these backward movements create a coherent visual language to bind everything together. The ending pose is my favorite.

And... I know everyone's sick of hearing about the dress, but I still can't love it, I can't even say I like it. It annoys me further because I like the program so much- I feel like it clashes with the program.
If I were the designer I would've dressed Yu na in a grey blue or a soft teal. A dusty pink would've been beautiful too.

This post has been edited by lescinqdoigts: 19 December 2013 - 04:47 AM

#7 User is offline   Empress of ice 

• Senior
  • Interests:Figure skating, music,cinema, foreign languages, travel

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:49 AM

Hi' I've just posted her sp + Lp music
go to 'multimedia' section to download them~

Thanked by 1 Member:
Nadia 

#8 User is offline   Realdeal 

• Senior

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:35 PM

Now I see why some people say SITC reminds of Ben EX. (Hint: the hands clasped behind her back)

#9 User is offline   os168 

• Senior

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:59 PM

View PostRealdeal, on 30 December 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

Now I see why some people say SITC reminds of Ben EX. (Hint: the hands clasped behind her back)

Wow that is so interesting... Didn't she co choreographed that program with her coach? It kind of goes with the theme she mentioned about going back to her beginnings just like another skater on the national team :)

#10 User is offline   yyyskate 

• Senior

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:23 PM

Thanks Realdeal for post Ben EX here, I thought exactly the same thing when I was reviewing Ben EX a few days ago (hands behind back). So here you go, the "simple moves" ToFarAwayTimes wanted from Yuna's early programs. ToFarAwayTimes are you happy now? :biggrin2:

" just like another skater on the national team"
who is the other skater that also goes back to her beginning,what's the story behind it?

#11 User is offline   ToFarAwayTimes 

• Novice
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • {Real Name}:Mark

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:05 AM

I was really coming around to like the yellow dress more and more but then I saw this drawing ... it's amazing! Still the yellow dress, but slightly different:

1. the middle is not as metallic
2. the skirt design looks better

This new yellow dress would just be unreal fantastic. :priere:

Attached File(s)

Thanked by 1 Member:

#12 User is offline   os168 

• Senior

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:13 PM

View PostToFarAwayTimes, on 31 December 2013 - 02:05 AM, said:

I was really coming around to like the yellow dress more and more but then I saw this drawing ... it's amazing! Still the yellow dress, but slightly different:

1. the middle is not as metallic
2. the skirt design looks better

This new yellow dress would just be unreal fantastic. :priere:

Gorgeous Amazing Fanart!

I can vouch the middle part is no where looking metallic, it positive sparkles and glistening like lights emit from it live. Unfortunately the photos and video really hasn't done the costume justice and it need to be seen live. Just like her Meditation Thais dress might appear dull greys on TV, but live, it really sparkles and shimmers which goes with the movement really well.

I guess I am one of the ones who actually like the colour. Contrasting colour of blue/violet/purple actually makes her standout alot more, which in principle should be the idea. Fix the sleeve or take it off might be valid option. Got to showcase those gorgeous arm movement more!

#13 User is offline   yyyskate 

• Senior

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:02 PM

Regarding the music editing. Some fan point out that, the cello part sounds a bit dissonant, feels like old black vinyl disk. also feels like a woman is sobbing.

Does anyone know which recording this program used or David and his music editor created new sound tracks?

#14 User is offline   over the rainbow 

• Junior
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:24 AM

This is by Croatia TV from an another angle.

:wub: :respec1:
Posted Image
Dec. 09. 2012 / NRW Trophy / Dortmund Germany

Thanked by 2 Members:

#15 User is offline   NewYunaFan 

• Senior

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:08 AM

Although a lot of people (including myself) were initially unhappy with the dress's color, I do think it's very appropriate for the program and its overall mood. I've actually grown to like it now and changing it to a warmer yellow is probably not right, even though it may be more aesthetically pleasing. Nostalgia is not a warm, glowing, happy mood.

#16 User is offline   kaka 

• Junior
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:50 AM

I actually getting used to the sp dress and also thought it was awful at first, but now i liked it. However the lp dress looks like a combination of james bond and danse macabre, adding a little red sparkling things may be ok in my opinion

#17 User is offline   yyyskate 

• Senior

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:50 PM

one way to appreciate this SP is to sing along with this program in your heart, while viewing (if you happen to have a great voice, sing it out loud :laughing: )
I have viewed HD fancam many times now, somehow, the sparkles on this dress reminds me of a Chinese idiom -- 流金岁月. it means golden ages...
So far, this dress has reminds me of many things:
as in the interview, it is olive green, a warm, opulent color, also resemble peace, love and calm.
according to Yuna's dress designer, the inspiration is from Adonis ramosa. flower language: remembrance, permanent happiness, memories, leading to happiness and blessing
In darker lighting, it feels like Autumn leaves floating/waving in the wind.
In lighter lighting, it feels like a butterfly and sunshine.
the sparkles feels like flowing gold (golden age)
the motif of beading reminds me of leaf veins or river beds, something associated with livelihood
peggy fleming's OGM dress.
an impressionism paining.
an old photo
a color of life
lingering
endless

This post has been edited by yyyskate: 08 January 2014 - 12:06 AM

Thanked by 1 Member:
os168 

#18 User is offline   os168 

• Senior

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:00 AM

View Postyyyskate, on 07 January 2014 - 11:50 PM, said:

I have viewed HD fancam many times now, somehow, the sparkles on this dress reminds me of a Chinese idiom -- 流金岁月. it means golden ages...
peggy fleming's OGM dress.
an old photo

Beautiful post Yyy. :wub:

Distinctive colours on their own can always make powerful statements, impact and set the mood. Whether by accident or intentional, I entirely agree your list of cross culture/universal references, particularly the reminder of the Golden age of skating recalling the Peggy Fleming's archetype style which SITC falls under that is almost in stark contrast from Yuna's usual short. Wouldn't it be funny if it start a revival in Korea fashion now people grew to like it? :rofl2:. (For the record, I do own a Ralph Lauren Chartreuse viscose jumper - I feel good wearing it, always set me in a sunny mood even during evenings. It goes with brown, black, white, and gold scarf well. Jaylee might have recall seeing it when we met at the Harvard charity gala?)

Yuna's programs have always shown strong affinity with French influences, this short + neuvo tango further validate this perception. Astor was educated in Paris (same as Gershwin) and he actually wrote the original version of Adios in Paris, before he re-arranged it again years later as a tribute to his father in New York. It is useful to be aware the inception of Adios Nonino did not started as a requiem/eulogy.

Monet painted his haystacks at least 25 times. Why? Is it about technique? Is it about composition? No... it is about exploring the perception of lighting through out the day, through out the season, in all sort of weather. This really highlight the fact colour on its own are really meaningless without light (spectrum of light) without context. Or in skating costumes terms, the costume must be seen and experienced with movement under proper light. The Chartreuse is a bold and right choice and I am glad Yuna stand by it.

To be frank, all these sensationalism and negativity about costumes, I am almost tempted to advice her simply select an understated comfortable black dress (or black on black with or without shimmering effect and minimum ornamentation). I don't know about others, but my favourite imagery of Yuna at her bests are her honest skating, no frill in her usual black training gears like these iconic Nike Just do it ad on skating away self doubts and pressure.)

How about bring skating back to the basics and truthful to her program direction if its intention is to focus more on her technical virtuosity. This year it seems they switched the technical program and the free program around, where as the short it feels more like a FS, while the FS feels more technical. What powerful statement would it be if the most glamorous and most watched figure skater decide to dress down/understated (but still in the most elegant dress. The girl need to look good!) for her final competition and simply prefer people to focus on her elegant skating?

Thanked by 3 Members:

#19 User is offline   yyyskate 

• Senior

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:50 PM

^^, I was reviewing Peggy Flemming's program. and found that signature " spread eagle 1A outside - inside spread eagle landing". Perhaps Yuna's outside-inside-bauer 2A jumping pass is inspired by this.
I also find Yuna's taste a bit French, although my knowledge of Art is limited. just a feeling :P
I remembered when Monet paint one of his famous work. He spent a whole afternoon to paint it, the result is that he recorded the dynamic of the whole afternoon on his canvas, not only the change of shades and color but also the position of object... I can watch this SP over and over again, @ different fancam angle... always get new impressions. It is indeed an impressionism art.
Speaking of impressionism, this yellow tone also reminds me of Van Gogh's Starry Night Over the Rhone. I was completely stoned (staring at the painting for 10 min without a blink :P ) when I saw the real work in a exhibition. How he used the yellow hue in that mostly dark blue painting is astonishing, intriguing and mysterious.
Then I found this piece of artwork from Karen Chen through the link you provided
Posted Image
That touch of yellow in blue striked me again. What can I say, that girl is talented. :P
I also like Yuna in all black training wear a lot. Funny observation, I find that some skaters has very colorful training gears. e.g. Gracie(hot pink, bright yellow...) :lol: But Yuna seems always wear black, and recently, completely black. :lol:

EDIT: I think Yuna has an unusual taste for a girl or young lady. Her fav program is Jeffrey Buttle's Adios Nonino. She was only 17, and I would not expect any 17-year-old girl to instantly falling in love with such a sophisticated program from a male skater.

This post has been edited by yyyskate: 09 January 2014 - 12:06 AM

Thanked by 4 Members:

#20 User is offline   os168 

• Senior

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:57 AM

View Postyyyskate, on 08 January 2014 - 11:50 PM, said:

EDIT: I think Yuna has an unusual taste for a girl or young lady. Her fav program is Jeffrey Buttle's Adios Nonino. She was only 17, and I would not expect any 17-year-old girl to instantly falling in love with such a sophisticated program from a male skater.

Great find about the inside outside spread eagles, interesting... it maybe confirms the theory more on Peggy Fleming? And the dress? :biggrin2:

Yes I did mention before that Chartreuse/Olive/Nostalgic yellow is the opposite of blue/violet and works well as a statement colour. This dress will stand out in a sea of blues, but symbolically it is really powerful colour for many reasons already mentioned.

I do like Karen's work and I consider that girl is genuinely artistic, and importantly creatively free and be bold to experimental in her expressions on a instinctive level. These are the valuable attitudes that one can easily loose after certain age, but if you aspire to be artistic, these are the qualities you will try to desperately to retain or develop.

Yuna has shown her tastes has always been more about men's skating since the days of Kwan, which actually shows how important she places on great skating skills. I am not sure if ADIOS is her fav program, but the type of skater she likes are Buttle, Weir, Lambiel and obviously Kwan, she also like a number of Japanese skaters like Arakawa and Dai who she invited to her shows, and she was one of the few ones who readily invite Patrick to all her shows since the very beginning even before he made it big. One can only speculate precisely it is because his skating skills are simply best among the men and she like what she saw.

Ps Monet's painting, you talking about this one? http://en.wikipedia....athedral_(Monet)

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users